31

Santiago

I was unsure of how to feel, sitting next to the woman that had betrayed me in the worst way possible.

She was too close for comfort. Her presence disgusted me, disturbed me at this point in time.

But I couldn't come to this alone. As far as the whole city of Seattle was concerned, we were still the power couple of the city. She hadn't had an affair with my brother.

It didn't matter that the entire city of Seattle didn't know. It mattered that I knew. That she knew, and she was okay with it.

It would probably become obvious at a certain point of the night. People would notice how I wouldn't make physical contact with her. How I wouldn't look at her the way I used to, and a news article would be made out of it.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I felt Alessandra's arm wrap around my own. I straightened my jacket out and attempted to act as professional as possible.

We plastered on our habitual fake smiles, made our happiness believable in the slightest bit.

"Well well well, if it isn't Mr. King himself."

I smiled and chuckled, sticking an outstretched hand out. "If it isn't Mr. Maali himself."

"Still looking as vibrant as possible," he said, smiling, "how are you, Sandra?"

She reached up and hugged his neck. "Lovely, how are you two?"

He and his wife smiled in unison. "Happy as ever."

Alessandra chuckled and latched onto my arm, smiling. "Same here. Couldn't be better, no?"

They smiled and we parted ways, making me pull my arm away from her.

"You're doing a marvelous job of not making it obvious," she nonchalantly stated, pouring herself another glass of champagne.

I ignored her remark as we walked to our seats. I pulled her chair out for her and she looked over her shoulder, smiling softly.

I fought the undying urge to roll my eyes. She sat close to the table and patted my chair next to hers.

I sat and she immediately placed her hand on my knee. I pulled away from her, folding my arms over my chest.

"You're brushing me off," she whispered.

"Wonder why," I muttered, avoiding eye contact. I could barely look at the mother of my children.

"Listen," she muttered, "you have to keep on this act for only a few more hours. After that, you can resume hating me."

I looked over at her and felt a surge of guilt in my stomach. I knitted my brows together, realizing I had no reason to feel guilty.

"Sounds like a plan," I muttered, taking a sip of my champagne.

She dropped her head, hesitantly placing her hand on my leg. A few reporters neared our table and I tipped back the rest of my champagne, plastering on a fake, beaming smile.

"How's Seattle's power couple?" A reporter asked, tilting her head with a smile.

"Just peachy," I replied, about the same time Alessandra replied with a rational answer. She shot me a glare and I leaned back in my chair, folding my arms over my chest.

The reporter's eyes widened, a smile on her face. "O-okay. You two have a great night."

"Great job," Alessandra muttered, looking down at her manicured nails.