19

Santiago

My feelings towards my wife started to change.

Instead of bringing me joy when she walked into the room, I felt like I was slowly dying. Like how when we were kids, and it was the first Friday of the school year, and then we realized we had to do this for ten more months.

I dreaded having to listen to her talk to me about the latest trends, or how Jess isn't talking to her anymore.

All the things I used to value and love were slowly diminishing.

When she'd called me Santy in that screechy, whiny voice of hers, I had to force myself not to cringe.

I didn't know what was happening. Maybe it was the fact that I knew what was going on with her. I just didn't want to say it out loud or even in my head, in hopes that maybe I was wrong.

And in fear that I was correct, I didn't want to speak it into existence.

However I did notice that when Adora called me Santy, her voice was smooth.

She said it so easily, it flowed from her lips like velvet. It were as if she were meant to. She even had a slight Spanish accent when she said it.

Damn it, Santiago, get a hold of yourself. You're married, you have kids, a beautiful wife.

Who's cheating on you.

I especially couldn't be thinking about someone seventeen years younger. I needed to stop the chaos inside my own head.

I just needed some time to relax. Maybe take the kids somewhere. I loved spending time with them. The boys were always my muse. I did the things I did for them. When it felt like the world was against me, they weren't.

"Hey boys," I yelled, "get dressed, we're going to the Zoo."

"Really, papa?" They ran into my office and I smiled when they both climbed into my lap.

"Yep! Papa decided to work from home today."

"Oh no, are you getting more sicker, papa?" Josiah asked, worry filled eyes boring into my own.

"No," I declined, shaking my head, "no, no need to worry about me. We're going to have fun, so put on some clothes!"

They smiled and hopped down from my lap, running into their rooms together.

It took a few minutes for them to get ready and when they did, we headed out the door. I strapped them in their booster seats and smiled at them through the rear view, pulling out of our gated driveway.

"What's for breakfast?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow up at them.

"That store that mi amor brings us breakfast from sometimes!"

I pulled my bottom lip in between my teeth. "I'm not sure which store that is-"

"It's the coffee shop, papa," Freddy said.

"Got it," I said, and we went on our way.

It took a few minutes to get there and when we did, the boys unbuckled themselves and we hopped out of the car.

Freddy opened the door for us and I cocked an eyebrow up at him, and he shot me a sheepish smile. "I'm working on being a hidalgo."

I chuckled and pulled him up into my arms, pressing a kiss to his cheek as I held the door open for Josiah.

"Look, mi amor!"