11

Adora

I began taking the boys swimming more often.

I was slowly becoming something I didn't want to become, but somehow, I didn't want to stop it. I didn't want to be this, but I didn't want to stop it.

Why?

Because Santiago King was the exact same thing as I was: a tease.

I had no validation for doing the things I did to Santiago King. He was twice my age, he was married, and he had two beautiful boys.

I regretted kissing him. Exactly as I should have.

Why did I tease him until he'd had more than enough? Why did I act like this towards him?

I did it for the reaction. I liked seeing him upset with me, and I liked the bantering. It kept me on my toes.

But I still had no validation. If it was a guy my age, it would be more reasonable.

But he wasn't my age.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I felt water being splashed on my calves, and I just smiled down at the boys. "Sí?"

"Look at the sky, mi amor. It's getting dark."

"It sure is, which means your papa should be home soon," I said, pushing myself up off of the concrete, "want to go on inside?"

They pouted their bottom lips out at me, and I just smiled and rubbed their soaked hair. "Okay, a few more minutes."

They both smiled up at me and began swimming. We stayed out for another ten or fifteen minutes, and by the time we began getting out, Santiago was standing at the door.

I wrapped their towels around them and led them inside, grabbing my own as I brushed past Santiago without a word, without a glance.

I had to at least try and keep my distance.

I felt Santiago's eyes on me as I walked upstairs, and I just walked into the nearest room to put my clothes back on.

I quickly ran back downstairs and smiled when I saw Santiago and the boys lying on the couch watching tv.

"I'm gone," I said, pointing towards the door. Santiago just raised his eyebrows at me as if he didn't care, nodding his head.

I walked over to the couch and pressed kisses to the boys' heads. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay, niñera."

"Mi amor, no vayas," Josiah pouted, grabbing my arm. He tugged at my arm and I just pouted down at him.

"I promise I'll be back tomorrow," I said, squeezing his cheek. I smoothed Freddy's hair back, earning Santiago's caring eyes.

"I'll walk you out," he offered, standing up before I could decline his offer.

We made it outside the house and I slipped my hands in my pockets. "You didn't have to walk me out."

"It's dark. I don't trust the dark."

"Well, that would be reasonable if you lived anywhere near the city, but you don't."