6

Adora

I slid my key in the door and locked it, hitching my little backpack further upon my shoulder.

"Hey!"

I turned around and saw Zayn running towards me, a charming smile on his face. I matched his smile and looked up at him, brushing my hair back with my fingers. "Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing much, you?"

He followed me to the elevator and I shook my head, shrugging. "Going to get my hair dyed. I haven't changed it in a while, and I'm tired of it being plain."

"That's great," he said, "so, I have a question."

I just looked over at him with wide eyes, lips pulled together in a tight line. "Yeah?"

"Would you like to go to a business event with me? It's tomorrow night, I'm sorry about the abruptness, lack of forewarning, if you will."

I furrowed my brows together and he just smiled, shaking his head. "It's for my father's business. I know it's random, but he asked me to come."

"Uh, Zayn, I want you to know that I'm probably the least proper person you'll ever meet."

He just laughed and looked down, shifting from heel to heel. "Same here."

"But sure," I said, "I'd love to go with you."

He smiled. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," I said, shrugging, "how bad can it be?"

"Well," he began, making me giggle, "you don't know my dad. But I'll keep a distance."

I just nodded. "So, a dress? Something fancy?"

"Well, I'm wearing a suit, so, does that help?"

I just smiled. "Yes. Thanks for inviting me, Zayn, really. I appreciate it."

He just smiled. "I'll pick you up at seven tomorrow night?"

I nodded, shooting him a wide smile. "Okay, I'll be ready."

He smiled and pursed his lips together in a tight line. "So, I'll see you tomorrow night?"

"You'll see me," I said, watching as he just smiled and shot me a wave before running towards the stairs.

As soon as I saw him walking towards his car, I ran back to my apartment. "Brenna!"

She came out of her bedroom and placed her hand on her hip, an eyebrow cocked up at me. "What?"

"You're coming with me to shop."

"I need no excuse to shop, so okay!"

~*~

Adora

"You've yet to tell me what this is about," Brenna sang, a charming smile on her face.

I just rolled my eyes and smiled, giving in. "It's for a business party that I'm going to."

"Wow! So you're their nanny, and already a business partner?" She joked, looking over at me with lifted brows.

"No," I muttered, "it's not for the Kings."

"Oh," she said, sounding a bit surprised, "well, who's is it?"

"The Maalis," I replied casually, earning a surprised look from her.

"The Maalis? You mean, your boss's business rival, rich-"

"Okay, how did everyone know that but me?"

She shrugged. "Keep up with the Seattle times, hon."

I just rolled my eyes.

"So you're going with...?"

"Zayn Maali."

"Woah!" She exclaimed, stopping me with a hand on my wrist, "you must explain right now!"

I just groaned as she dragged me over to a bench, sitting down. "Explain yourself!"

"I'm going with his son, is it that hard to believe?"

"No, what's hard to believe is that you haven't mentioned him to me!"

My eyebrows shot up. I'd honestly thought I'd mentioned him to her and Lan, but I guess I hadn't.

"Well," I began, twiddling my thumbs, "he lives in the complex. Actually, right by us. And he's super nice, he came over the night you and Lan were both out on dates. He needed eggs, or something, and we exchanged numbers, then we hung out, and now we're going to a business formal together."

"Wow," she said, honestly sounding stunned, "next thing I know, you two are going to be in bed. And you have bloody boundaries!"

I just rolled my eyes, smiling. "No."

"Ooh, good girl gone bad, I respect-"

"No," I shook my head, "I meant no getting in bed. I do have boundaries."

She just smiled. "Well, Lan is going to love to hear this."

I just shook my head rapidly before she grabbed my wrist, pulling me up. "But we still have a dress to shop for."

I just smiled and she led me in the nearest store to us, which just so happened to be Marc Jacobs.

"Adora!"

I turned around and raised my eyebrows when I saw Brenna holding a black, figure fitting dress. There was a choker attached to it and I just smiled, walking towards her. "This is gorgeous, Bren!"

"And it's on sale! I mean, you're rich from babysitting rich kids, but still. Even rich people love sales."

I just giggled and grabbed it from her hands. "I'm not rich, but I am going to try it on!"

I walked into the fitting rooms and it fit my body perfectly, hugging every curve. I smiled and turned around, admiring myself a little in the mirror. I hadn't admired myself in a long time. I just dropped my hands by my side as I smiled.

I felt good about myself, and it felt good to feel good.

I opened the door of the fitting room, earning Brenna's eyes. Her eyebrows shot up and she smiled. "Yes. Yes ma'am."

I just giggled and looked in the mirror again, smiling. "You like it?"

"If I was lesbian, you would be my gal."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Do you think he'll like it?"

"I know he'll like."

I smiled and walked back into the fitting room to change into my normal clothes, walking out with a smile. "So you're getting it?"

I hesitated for a second and then just smiled, nodding. "Yes!"

She squealed and we earned eyes from most of the people in the store. I just lifted my eyebrows, making Brenna's contagious laugh fill the air.

"Go pay for it, you billionaire!"

And I realized that this was the first time the Kings had actually done something really good for me.

short chapter sorry homes, but A LOT IS HAPPENING IN THE NEXT CHAPTER