Fourteen

"I swear to God if you don't tell me the truth," Ji-ah was scolding Lu. Ohjin was sitting beside Ji-ah, across from Lu at the table. I walked up and asked what was going on. Ji-ah leaned back and scoffed angrily. I looked to Ohjin and then Lu. She looked like she had been crying. "Lu, what happened?" I asked her. She bit her lip and shifted around. "She won't say. I know this about that d*mned boyfriend though!" Ji-ah told me. I sat down and tried to coax Lu into telling us why she was upset. "Is it about him?" I questioned. Lu sighed and finally said, "yes but if I tell you...you guys will tell me to break up with him. You'll say he's bad and it's a red flag." Ji-ah sat up and asked, "did he hit you?" Lu shook her head. "What else could he have done then?" Ohjin sighed and reached for her hand. "Look, we're already saying you should break up with him so just tell us so we can at least be here for you," I stated. Lu looked uncomfortable but told us. "He called me a few days ago and said he was busy so we wouldn't be able to see each other for a few days. I said it was fine, I trust...trusted him. Then last night he came over and he had hickeys. I mean...just...all over his neck and his collarbone. He even had some bruises on his left forearm. They weren't normal either...like someone held his arm. I mean, what else could he have done?" She started crying. "I cried all night and I can't stop. I like him so much," she continued. Ji-ah's face softened, "I'm so sorry!" Ohjin held her hand. I just stared at her. Not shocked and not sympathetic.

My guilt was beginning to gnaw at me. Should I tell her? She obviously knows he cheated. If I told her...I would lose her. It might be best...but I've done it twice now. Maybe if I didn't tell her about the first time...ah, that would be wrong. All or nothing and nothing didn't seem right. I could always tell Ji-ah or Ohjin to ask for opinion...Who was I kidding? They would hate me too.

I helped comfort Lu. Ji-ah stood up and said, "I've got a family thing to go to but I'll call tonight." Ohjin stood up and added, "I've got the same thing," and he left. "Will you be alright?" I hesitated to ask. "I don't know. You guys say he is horrible and...I know it's bad but the thought of breaking up with him seems to hurt more," she sighed and wiped her cheeks. "It might be best though," I told her honestly, "sometimes you have to lose people." "Do you think it was a high or drunk mistake? I could forgive him then...I would just give him one more chance and if he does anything again then we're done," she spoke. I sighed. "I don't know. I wouldn't forgive him either way. Two strikes already." I finished comforting Lu and eventually couldn't change her decision to forgive him.

I called the only person I could think to talk to. I knew I should tell her but I really didn't want to. He answered quickly. "Calling for round three?"