Fourty-One

Lu and I decided to get lunch one day. "How's work?" I asked. "I got fired two weeks ago," she said casually. "What? Why? Why didn't you tell us?" I asked. "I'm only telling you! Don't tell anyone else...I dated my boss. It's against policies so they fired me since we wouldn't break up. He just dumped me for his fiance, who I didn't know about," she shrugged it off like it was normal. "Lu, are you okay? That's horrible," I told her. "I'm fine. I was actually thinking about something so I wanted to ask you," she started, "are you willing to do something crazy with me?" "How crazy?" I asked suspiciously. "Wild! You told us about your troubles lately and you probably need a break," she said. She was right.

I was turning twenty-five and Hoseok was turning twenty-six. I got a real job and started working full time. We moved into a nice apartment and had money saved. I was ready to move on from the shop. Hoseok wasn't though. It was all he had known and so he was fine with it but I wanted to live normally and with the possibility that I could marry him without worrying and have kids without a gangster dad. I was serious and I hadn't told Hoseok fully how I felt.

"You're right," I admitted, "a break would be kind of nice. Then I could come back and tell Hoseok how I feel." Lu nodded in approval, "exactly, exactly. Just a little vacation, yeah?" I nodded, "yeah."

Two weeks later

Hoseok's POV
I woke up late in the day since it was Saturday. I looked around for Chae but she had probably gotten up already. Stretching, I sat up and got out of bed. Chae was really sweet to me last night. She had spent all night with me. She was normally only clingy when it was our anniversary. Was it? I checked the date. No, it wasn't. I called her name but no answer. Maybe she left for a bit. When I walked into the kitchen, a sticky note was on the fridge.

Made you breakfast :)

I opened the door and saw a plate of waffles. I took it out and when I held the plate, I felt something on the bottom. Paper. I took out the piece of paper and unfolded it. I couldn't understand it.

Good morning or afternoon,
I left for a bit. Don't worry, I'm with Lu. I'm not gonna tell you where we went but we will be gone for a bit.
We both needed a break.
Not you and me, me and Lu. Just to get away, you know?
I'll be home but don't wait up.
Don't move away while I'm gone and don't try to call me or text me.
My phone number is changed by now.
I love you more than anything so don't think I'm leaving you.
I'm not.
Not after all we've been through.
It's funny:
Everything that's happened...it only happened because we met.
I wonder what life would've been like without you, Hoseok.
Then again, I don't want that.
I'll be back but I need you to wait for me. Please.
1464
Love, Chae