Chapter 3

[a/n: emotional chapter]

"Do you really have to go?" He asked, his eyes red and bloodshot. He watched me go around in circles, looking for my shoes. He stood there like a lost puppy, waiting for his master to come bring him home.

"Yes," I quickly answered, trying to remember where I put my damn shoes.

"How long will you be gone, again?" he asked, a hint of sadness lingering in his voice.

"Three years." I answered. I've always thought that three years would be short but I guess I proved myself wrong when I said it out loud, making it seem more real.

"I hate you." He muttered, "How could you leave your best friend who's madly in love with you like this?" He pouted.

I groaned loudly. "Please don't make this harder," I begged as I walked over to him.

"I'm not," he smiled teasingly, as if he knew what he was doing. He was driving me into guilt and pity. I wasn't going to let him. I was about to pull away when he caught my eyes, my breath hitching in my throat. I couldn't move. We were merely a few inches away, close enough for me to take in his features. I ticked off the things I loved about him most, unconsciously. I remember how his eyes were the first thing to mesmerize me, the way it can tell you so many emotions at once. It was the most perfect thing, in all honesty. And then there's his smile and then his laugh and then the way he stays up with me all night on the phone, and the way he calls me "Shithead" and everything in between. I stopped myself from going further, pulling away from his gaze.

"Luke, can you get my bags upstairs?" I asked, in hopes he could leave me alone for just a minute. He broke out of the trance we've been in, seemingly surprised as me as well. He nodded, completely lost for words, and jogged his way to the stairs. Once he was out of sight, I sighed and looked around for the nearest seat. I plopped myself on the stool placed specifically in front of the piano. I put my head in my hands, sighing. My mind raced with different thoughts, mostly bad, but I wasn't going to let this break me. I looked around the room before my eyes fell on the piano keys. My fingers started itching to play it. Unable to resist the urge in me, I shifted in a more comfortable position, pressing the pads of my fingers against the cold white and black keys. I started playing it, singing along to the sweet music.

"That's lovely," I heard a deep familiar voice behind me. I spun around only to see Luke standing over the staircase with my luggage. He placed the bag on the floor and walked over to me with his hands in his pockets, taking full long strides. He sat down beside me and leaned his head on my shoulders.

"Play me something," he kissed my shoulder he was leaning onto.

I nodded and pressed the pads of my fingers to the piano keys, losing myself in the music. Luke quickly recognized the song and started to sing along while I played.

"Brooklyn," I turned my torso around to see my father in the doorway. He nodded to Luke as an acknowledgement. My dad never really had a problem with Luke. He didn't mind us hanging out. In fact, he was the one convinced my mom for Luke to come with us to the airport.

"Dad," I sighed, the sadness in his eyes clear and obvious.

"You need to go now. Your plane leaves in an hour." He smiled solemnly.

I looked at Luke whose head is put down, "Let's go," I said.

I stared out the window, looking out the city lights surrounding us. I never really thought I was going to do this but here I am, finally making a life-changing decision on my own. My parents were trailing behind us in a pick up truck, following us as we drove through the dark streets of our town. My mom was kind enough to let Luke drive me instead of hopping into their car. Maybe she thought I deserved a bit of happiness with him while I still have time. She's not all that bad. As we drove out of town to the airport, we passed by the places we used to hang out in. A hundred thousand memories flashed before my eyes, as if it was a movie. I felt tears brimming my eyes as I looked at the sign indicating that we were only 2km away from my destination.