Chapter 43

[important a/n]

It's been 6 months since Luke's accident.

The boys cancelled the tour, of course, and most of their fans have been devastated.

Everyday in those 6 months, I would always visit Luke, trying to make him remember. At first, he was scared of me and most of the time he would ignore me. He wouldn’t let me take care of him, and it was annoying, but I kept my patience with him. Soon enough, we became friends (again) and the boys and I tried our best to make him remember.  He never believed us but he still let us tell him stories about our adventures.

“That’s a funny story actually,” I blabbered on, “I pretended that you were harassing me.”

He looked at me with a blank expression but he nodded, urging me to continue. We were all alone in his hospital room, and it was almost 12:00 a.m. but that didn’t stop me from visiting him.

“Then all of the people there were staring at you,” I laughed a little too loudly at the memory, “You were literally begging me-“

“Brooklyn,” he put a hand on my lap, stopping me mid sentence. The fact that he never calls me by ‘Brooke’ anymore was hurting me more than it should. The way it rolls off his tongue seemed unnatural and unreal to me.

“What?” I looked at him, a serious expression plastered on his perfect face.

“Stop,” he looked at me skeptically, making me sigh. I knew it wouldn’t work.

So much for trying.

The fact that he couldn’t remember anything makes my heart hurt, as if a thousand needles, no, a thousand knives are being plunged into my chest with no warning. I would sometimes sit alone in my room, picturing his face, the way he always used to smile-unlike these past months-and the way his laugh sounded.

I never heard his laugh anymore.

It was like as if Luke was a different person. Far from whom I used to know. Far from the Luke who sent me cookies and letters, far from the Luke whom I used to have deep conversations with in the middle of the night, far from the Luke who told me he loved me.

“It’s never gonna work,” he said with a sad smile, but not a real smile. It wasn't genuine and It felt forced.

I sighed deeply, trying to hold back the tears that were starting to form in my eyes. “I know.”

I turned away from him and I felt him shift in his bed, and after a few minutes, he was fast asleep, probably drained from my constant futile efforts towards him. I looked out the window, looking at the drops of water pattering down the window pane. I tried to focus my mind there to get my mind off of him but everything reminds me of him and everything we used to be. Even the sight or the sound of rain reminds me of him.

It always reminds me of the day he told me he loved me at the restaurant-the day he told me the truth. It was also the day I found out about everything and let me tell you, I would do anything to go back and change my mind. The whole night drifted off normally with me hanging out on the chair beside me and him calling me when he needed water or food. It was about 2:00 a.m., the time where we would usually sneak off, and I was staring at Luke’s guitar that the boys brought for him, incase he wanted to use it.

I found myself tracing my fingers across the smooth metal of the strings, focusing on the cold texture of it beneath my callused finger tips. I picked it up and placed it on my lap before singing out softly as I stared at Luke’s sleeping body.

[play ever enough woo]

“No I’m never gonna leave you darling
No I’m never gonna go regardless
Everything inside of me is living in your heartbeat
Even when all the lights are fading
Even then if your hope was shaking
I’m here holding on

I will always be yours forever and more
Through the push and the pull
I still drown in your love
And drink 'til I’m drunk
And all that I’ve done,
Is it ever enough

I’m hanging on a line here baby
I need more than if's and maybe's
We’ll come down from the highest heights
Still searching for the reason why
And now I know what it’s like,
Reaching from the other side
After all that I’ve done

I will always be yours forever and more
Through the push and the pull
I still drown in your love
And drink 'til I’m drunk
And all that I’ve done,
Is it ever enough?

For all that it’s worth, is it worth it?
Cause more than it’s hard to desert it
For all that it’s worth, is it worth it?
How do we know without searching?

I will write you this song to get back what’s ours
Would that be enough?

I will always be yours forever and more
Through the push and the pull
I still drown in your love
And drink 'til I’m drunk
And all that I’ve done,
Is it ever enough?

For all that it’s worth, is it worth it?
Is it ever enough?
How could we know without searching?
Is it ever enough?,” I finished the song with tears in my eyes as I reminisced everything that we’ve been through. Through those lonely nights being apart from each other, from the happy moments we were together. It all comes crashing down.

 I put down the guitar and wiped my nose on the sleeve of my shirt. I put my head down, trying to get myself to fall asleep.

 And that’s when it happened.

 “Brooke?”

I opened my eyes and slowly look up from my lap. I saw Luke looking at me so I stood up and made my way over to his bed. I sat beside his laying body while he kept staring at me and something about the way he stared gave me goose bumps.

Suddenly, he clutched my hand into his-and it hurt a bit but I didn’t mind-as I waited for him to say something. He looked up at me with an unsure face, “I listened to the song you were singing,”

He took a deep breath and I could see the tears forming in his eyes, “And I remember.”

a/n

oMYGOD YAY HAPPY ENDINGS AND PLS DONT REMOVE THIS YET BECAUSE THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE AND I LIED ABOUT CHAPTER 43 BEING THE LAST CHAPTER LOL

ANYWAY THANKS FOR READING THIS 

THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE AND ALTERNATE ENDING AND SOME TRIVIAS ABOUT THIS STORY

AND I ENJOYED READING UR COMMENTS MOST OF U TOLD ME THAT THIS MADE U CRY AND THAT U READ THIS STORY IN A DAY WHICH MAKES MY HEART FLUTTER WITH JOY

comment vote and shaare

love u

((pls dont point out errors bc this is unedited))

and follow me on casketluke :--) i follow back if ur one of my readers so we can communicate 

-athena