Chapter 1

I woke up with a pounding headache as usual, the smog was getting thicker by the day and it wasn't surprising anymore. I couldn't wait to taste the pancakes my father was going to make me, it forced me to get up from my bed to go downstairs. It's been forever since I had that dream, the one where I relive that moment over and over again. It's true, I'm a monster although I pay it no mind. My life has been boring, living the same life, doing the same thing everyday. I'd get up to eat, talk to my father about his work and walk around the house cleaning.

Ever since I learned about the poison coursing through my veins, my father has taken things into his own hands. I don't know how he does it, but he managed to make special clothing that I can wear. He also made me these special gloves that allow me to touch things with my hands. It's not the greatest thing ever but at least I can pick things up without melting them.

I was always told I was strange, especially from the kids in the neighborhood. The smog has killed off more than forty percent of the earth or so I've heard. There's at most sixty people left in our small town of Riviera, and it dwindles even then. Many of the townsfolk are sick and my father is trying his best to help them. I noticed over the course of the years that my father is also getting worn out. I've never gotten sick since that day. I've never felt pain or pleasure. It's tough watching all the people drop around you like flies while you can't do anything to help.

I've offered father to help him in his work, but he'd always refuse saying things like, "It's too dangerous" or something like, "They will think of you as a monster, it's okay stay home Aya." The days went on like this, for years and years.

I sat up in bed daydreaming as usual, things are always like this. I rubbed my eyes sleepily and looked over at the time. It was eight thirty and I could smell the pancakes downstairs. Father knew I loved pancakes and always made them for me. He told me it was to cheer me up but it didn't help but to sedate my hunger. I brushed my long blonde hair over my shoulder and pushed the blanket off my body. I looked over the edge of my bed to find my boots, they were laced with a special component that allowed me to walk without melting the floor. It was annoying to constantly wear boots all the time but it would be sufficient I suppose. 

I reached over to the boots laying underneath the edge of my bed and carefully put them on. Once they were on I made my way over to the closet and put on my clothes. They were specially made for me.

I looked in the walk-in mirror to see my multicolored eyes, I've been told by many that my eyes are that of a monster. My one green and blue eye are enough to scare everyone away. I've come to cover my green eye with a blue contact lens so people won't see it. My eyes have always been that way, ever since I was a small child. I heard it's rare for a child to have it.

I've never cared much for rumors or fairy tails. I'm a believer in the solid truth.

I brushed my hair and threw it into a messy bun, not caring much about its appearance. I let out a yawn and put on my gloves before exiting my room. ' My room, huh? Its more like a prison.' once I pushed the door open I noticed that there was a sweet smell in the air. 'These aren't the normal pancakes father makes, what's the occasion?' I slowly descended the staircase and peeked into the kitchen which was around the corner. I saw father whistling with a small smile on his worn out features.

"Good morning father, you seem to be in good spirits." I said politely as I pulled out a chair to sit at the small antique table.

It was adorned in a small white tablecloth with the vase of white tiger lilies in the center. My mother used to love tiger lilies. Father turned it into a tradition to have a small vase to honor her. I never got to know my mother, but I heard she was beautiful with bright blue eyes. She'd turn heads when she walked into a room, everyone truly loved her.

"Here you go Aya, your favorite pancakes with strawberry drizzle." He passed over a plate with three pancakes with strawberry syrup on top. It smelled delicious. "Thank you father, I'm sure it'll be delicious as always." I picked up my fork and bit into a piece of the pancake. It tasted sweet and it melted in my mouth, probably because of the poison. "Yeah, delicious!" I moaned out in joy as I began stuffing my face with pancake.

My father simply shook his head as a chuckle escaped his lips, he reached for his own plate and sat across from me. "So father, how are the people? Is everyone in good health?" I asked curiously as I took another bite of my pancake. "Its been hard. Everyone is getting sicker, my medicine just doesn't work anymore. The smogs gotten too thick." He mumbled most likely worried about the people.

I continued eating my pancakes quietly, knowing there was nothing I could do. My father sighed as he took another bite of his pancake. "Aya, come with me." He stated as he looked up at me seriously.

I froze mid bite and looked at my father in surprise. "I can go?" I said surprised. "Yes, I want you to see how bad our situation is becoming. Will you come?" He said seriously.