Chapter 29

Everything was going great, Levi and I finally made up even though he was the one who started the whole issue in the first place. We finally made it to the ship but the captain was brooding more so than ever and it slightly worried me. I don't know a thing about him but I do know that he's a ruthless bastard who kills for fun so I'm not sure what his current intentions are.

I was currently waiting beside Evan for the captain to finish ordering the crew around before boarding the ship. Levi was leading a group a people around the city before we met up with Ron, where he found a stash of old wines and rum then decided, "Hey why not get drunk?"

Levi is currently rambling on about how upset he is that the captain is ignoring his 'feelings' and the captain is very uncomfortable with him. I thought something was up when he was being nice, he was drunk.

So much for trying to sincerely forgive him. He was bouncing around between crying to hysterically laughing, normally this would be the very thing I could chastise him for but I couldn't even do that because he was being an idiot.

I mean come on, who's going to take him seriously if he's being like this? The captain finally had enough with him, then burst on him about his current behavior. "Jacobs, follow me. Now." He said with hate and anger laced into the tone of his voice. Levi was about to get the beating of a lifetime. Hopefully not literally though, then I'd feel bad for him.

"Ehh, but captain you love me!" Levi pouted with a small thin smile. The captain wasn't having any of his jokes though and grabbed Levi by the arm before pulling him off into the unknown. I wonder what he's going to do, poor Levi. . .

"Matthews, stay with the girl and make sure she doesn't run off to do something stupid." The captain says with a deep glare, his brows furrowed and his lips set in a thin line. He was trying to hold back his anger, I wonder how long it's been since he's freaked out like this.

I stood silently beside Evan, wishing away any bad thoughts I may have of the captain. Its hard to not wonder what he's up to but at the same time I know whatever it is, it's not good. I've been wondering if all this time he's been holding back how he truly is, why I couldn't even fathom, but it seemed that way.

He seemed like he was putting on airs to hide who he really is, the cold, arrogant, egotistical man he truly is. Was it because of the children? Did he for some odd reason, feel a sense of dignity? To make himself seem good in all that he is, to gain something in return?

I've heard from many people from the village before I was kid napped that he did whatever he could to get his way. Did that also include trying to seem nice and caring to achieve something greater? Was he buttering us up to get information? He kept asking about my father and because of this realization, I've grown to not trust his judgement. I'm going to keep as much information as I can from him. He's only using me and the children to his benefit and I won't be played that way.

There must be some way to switch this sick game of his around, some sort of dirt that could grant us an escape. The only real solid information I have on him is that he's the captain of this ship, he has a little sister that went missing a year ago, and that he's trying to find her.

What could be used of this information to use as leverage?

As I was thinking this, I walked past the captains quarters without realizing it and heard something I feel I shouldn't have heard.

"You what?!" The captain snarled in anger, his fist connecting with his desk. I could feel the tension from outside in the hallway. I hid against the wall beside his door out of sight, afraid if I moved now he'd know I heard.

"You heard them talking about my sisters location and didn't do anything?!" He yelled again in anger. Levi must've been quite frightened because when he spoke again his voice shook a little, in nervousness or anger I'm not sure.

"S-Sir I assure you I memorized the location!" He yelled out frantically and I heard another loud bang against the captains desk. "The location Levi." He says with silent fury. "Y-Yes Sir! She's being held in their main headquarters in a small town near here; Apparently they took over the hospital in Riveria." He said quickly, his voice shook with silent nervousness.

"Riveria? That small town that used to be all waterways? Why the hell would they hide there?" He said to himself in confusion.

I flinched and shook in my position. They were holding his sister in the hospital in my hometown? But if their holding her there, then if the captain finds out, I live there it'll be bad! I tried to quietly step away from the door to walk away in the other direction but to my dismay, Evan seen me standing there awkwardly.

"Woman, what are you doing?" He snarls in suspicion. "Uh, I'm heading to my room now but I got lost in my thoughts." I mumbled quickly before dashing past him faster than I've ever ran before. Evan was surprised with my sudden burst of energy and whipped around to call out to me but stopped when he seen the captain come out with a dark expression.

Evan bowed in respect to the captain but he narrowed his eyes at my receding back. The captain followed the direction of his gaze and our eyes locked for a millisecond before I flinched and continued my sprint to the safety of my room.

"Sir." Evan said with a silent request to speak. "Did she hear?" The captain said back with a dark expression, the intention to kill radiating off of him. "I believe so Sir." Evan said with a confused look on his face, "Is something the matter?" He says with a dark expression.

The captain says nothing in response but anyone could tell instantly by looking, he was no longer being the nice guy he was acting to be.