Chapter 39

The wind cut around my face and hair as I ran away from the one place I used to call home. I've never been so ashamed to be alive before. I ruined someone's life, her future, her dreams. I killed her with my own hands, the feel of her blood still burned into my head even now. I kept running blindly, with no clue where I was going or where I've been; I just kept moving away from them.

I couldn't hear anyone behind me so I quickly ducked on the path where everything began, the dam. The dirt path still remained unkept even after all these years. I slowed down to a slow walking pace and tried to steady my uneven breathing through the tears that still flowed down my cheeks. I walked along the path, hearing the dirt crumble underneath my feet made me strangely content. I looked up confidently and looked at the trees around the dam. They were still alive which is surprising considering everywhere else their dead.

I pushed a bush aside that was blocking the path and noticed the old dam. The concrete walls still cracking in places and the smell of fish was enough to make anyone gag. The old shed made of stone was still standing surprisingly, so I walked over to it to inspect it some more. As a child, I was never interested in such things as searching and exploring but now I want to understand more things. I want to learn all sorts of things, big or small, didn't matter to me.

I opened the old rotting door and peaked inside. There was an old chair made out of oak wood seated in front of a small desk which held a small computer. It looked like it probably ran the controls of the dam. There were two large monitors in which the computer would run and the controls would show on the screen, at least that's what I'm assuming it would do. I push on the door all the way open and walk towards the computer. I hit the power button but nothing came on, I guess it died over the years.

I continued to play around with the buttons on the computer some more since I've never gotten to play around with one before. I pressed every random button I could find and just as I was about to press the last one, a loud bang outside the room scared me. 'W-What was that?' I thought to myself as I creeped my way towards the door. I pressed my ear against the wall but I don't hear anything—"Come out Aya." A loud husky voice yelled close to the door, scaring the shit out of me, causing me to trip over my feet and to land on my butt. "Ow..." I whined as I tried to stand up but my ankle hurts for some reason. Did I twist it when I fell on the ground?

"Aya stop messing around—What happened?!" The loud voice which I recognized as the captains rang out as he plowed the door out of his way to examine my pathetic form. "I fell," I mumbled silently as he looked at me dubiously. "It hurts to stand." I finished off as I looked away from him shyly. Why am I so nervous?! He shakes his head in disbelief as he moves closer to me. "What are you—Ah!" He lifts me up bridal style and carries outside the shed. "Put me down I'm fine!" I yell embarrassed as he carried me without a care in the world. "Princess as much as I'd love to do that, No." He says cockily as he continues walking, to revolt all I did was sulk because that's all I could manage right now.

I wouldn't look at him at all because his cocky attitude made me mad. I don't think my silent treatment was affecting him at all tho. He walked along the path all the way back to the main street where everyone was waiting patiently. I scrunched up my face in irritation as I wiggle to try to free myself from his grasp but his hold was tight. He wasn't letting go anytime soon. "God-Damn-let-me-go!" I dragged out each word with a snarl as he just looked at me with a raised eyebrow. I didn't budge at all and he wasn't affected once again, shocker. "Princess, I've said it once, I'll say it again. No." He said with emphasis on the no, clearly trying to irritate me further. "I'll have you know—" I started but never got to finish as he cut me off. "You'll have me know nothing because you're going to be quiet." He said with a harsh glare, causing chills to fly down my spine. I nodded in agreement quickly and he removed his hand. "Good, now shut up." And the silence resumed.

"Sir, have you made up your mind?" Evan asked professionally as if he were talking to a king or something. "Yeah, let's head out." The captain said as he squeezed me tighter to his chest, leaving me no room for escape. Where exactly are we going? I thought sourly as I glanced up at his face, his sharp features looking at something in the distance. His bangs still cover his black eyepatch, for a moment, I was mesmerized by my curiosity to see underneath it. Sometimes you can't even notice it since his black hair blends into the color of his eyepatch.

He is such a mature man, that sometimes, I forgot all the bad things I've heard about him. The killing, the robbing, playing around with girls; all of it vanishes. I don't know why but for some odd reason that I cannot explain, I'm drawn to those intimidating stares, the harsh words and the way he deals with things. What's wrong with me?

I tried so many times to escape and ignore the weird palpitations rumbling in my chest but every time he looks at me, my breath disappears.