Chapter 20

"I never meant to lose you, I got caught in the grey." - The grey Icon for hire lyrics

§

I sat in silence for what seemed like decades, pondering over my next course of action. I couldn't sit in self pity anymore. I needed answers now if I wanted to learn of where we are going.

I jumped up from the bed, grabbed my gloves and stood to leave the room. Evan was right when he said that this poison didn't make me a bad person. I never hurt someone intentionally and I don't plan on hurting anyone with it.

If I wanted to get the children to the capital and get an antidote out to the people who need it, then I needed to learn how to handle myself. If I wanted to learn I needed the captain to teach me, even if he doesn't want to.

With my resolve strong and unwavering, I make my way to the captain's quarters. I got numerous looks from pirates left and right, Tessa standing idly by Levi. She stood by Levi as he was in charge of watching over them. The other three looked on in confusion but I couldn't afford to waver here.

I stomped my way towards his room with Evan walking behind me, minding his own business. Evan and I weren't friends but we got along well enough that he doesn't question what I do anymore.

I'm extremely grateful for that. I look at him and he nods before walking off somewhere. 'I wonder where he goes every morning after breakfast.'

I shook off those thoughts and focused at the matter at hand. I was about to knock but before I could, Aeonis walked out of his room looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"What are you doing?" He says coldly as he looks me over for a moment.

'So much for our short bonding moment before.' I thought bitterly as I looked at him with vigor.

He let's out an irritated sigh and pinches his nose again. He does that a lot when he's irritated.

"What do you want now woman? I'm kinda busy right now." He says as he attempts to side step me to ignore me completely, not worthy of his presence.

I put my foot out to stop him from moving and yelled out my question. "I want you to teach me how to use a sword." I say sternly as I stood in front of him. I didn't want to give him any weakness, no reason to turn me down.

"No." He says bluntly as he pushes me out of his way with brute force. His hand squeezes extremely tight on my shoulder as if to warn me and I flinch in shock as the pain finally registered.

He pushes off my shoulder and continues to walk as if nothing happened before I could even say anything. 

I turn to glare at him and demand him to teach me but in that instant his blade met my face. It was inches from my nose and I could feel the tension in the room rise drastically. He was playing around anymore.

"We may have gone off on the wrong foot," He stops to push the tip of his blade close enough to touch my neck. "I'm your boss, your master. You have no relation to me whatsoever,"

He puts the too against my skin and I can feel the sting as I feel a trickle of blood run down my neck.

"Don't ever assume that I'm being 'friendly' with you. I'm not here to be your friend. I was merely curious of your poison." He finishes before pulling his sword away slowly and sheathing it.

"Make no mistake, I'll kill you if you no longer are of use to me." He says coldly before walking closer to me, leaning in so I can hear closely. My eyes widen slightly in discomfort.

"You belong to me until I say otherwise. I will not teach you anything and you will go back to your room. We will be docking soon and I don't need you making a ruckus." He says with a sharp glare and I back away involuntarily and nod silently.

He walks past me before whispering something to Evan, Evan nods in response but he looks troubled.

That's right, he's a pirate. He doesn't care about anything but himself. I was wrong to think otherwise.

I looked at the tip of his sword before he had sheathed it, fully observing his stance. The sword he was wielding was definitely a katana, and he stood confident and fierce. If I did that would I be intimidating too?

No, I'd probably get laughed at for being ridiculous or something.

I desperately tried to think of a solution to my current problem but the more I thought about it the more confused I became. If I wanted to get somewhere I needed some course of action, a plan. I'm sure that they'd laugh at me if I told them I wanted to learn such things without a plan.

Yet, No matter how hard I concentrate, I never seen to move forward.

Captain had mentioned something about docking tonight and he didn't want a ruckus on the ship. Maybe this is was the chance I needed to find out where we're headed, possibly even escape this place.

My plan now was to figure out where we are and to use it to my advantage. I needed to stay clear of Levi and Evan, They always seem to pick me apart easily.

Evan would definitely back up the captain no matter what I asked of him. He told me from the start that he would do anything; that would also include killing me if need be.

I was in the middle of the deck currently lost in thought and that when I noticed Levi walk closer to me.

"Hey sweetheart. Not thinking about escaping again are you?" He says cheerfully although I sense that deep hint of malice lying underneath. He's not happy with my previous attempts at avoiding him.

"No I'm just, confused as what I'm to do." I thought carefully, mincing my words so I can avoid suspicion. "Confused? Sweetheart you literally can do nothing and captain wouldn't give a shit." He said darkly as he shifted on his heels.

'Am I missing something here?' I wondered as I watched his expression turn darker as he thought. His eyes hardened even more and it was extremely terrifying. He could turn into a mad man any second and no one would do anything about it.

That's how scary he looked right now, but also, he looked kind of sad. I wonder why...