Chapter 30

I felt a chill rapidly fly down the center of my spine, chilling and dangerous. I didn't know what that chill could possibly mean but I ended up finding out the hard way. My slow reaction to being caught before escaping made the captain assume that I heard something I shouldn't have, then the calm collected person I thought he was; disappeared into thin air. Whoosh, gone. The worst part? He was way scarier than I ever could have thought.

"This is where you'll be staying from now on you bitch!" He snarled before tossing me roughly into a dimly lit room. The smell of fish was so dense in the air I had to hold back the nausea that swelled in my stomach. It was so putrid and thick, the walls wet with precipitation from god knows what and I'm sure there was mold somewhere on the walls. 

I turned to look at the person who threw me in here, his eyes blazing with a deep hatred—ready to shed blood. His once bright Amber colored eyes, trained on seeing the worst parts of me. He looks at me threw narrow eyes before striding up to me with a brisk step, danger lurking beneath his stride. I instinctively pushed myself away from him as much as I could but he was much quicker on his feet—considering I was on the ground.

He was a mere inch from my face now—his warm breath mingling with mine, and definitely not in a good way. He grabbed my chin roughly in his large hands and smashed my head backwards into the wall—my head now sore and tingling with an internal pain worse than any headache I've ever had.  I reached up to try to cradle my head through the pain but he grabbed my hands into his other hand then pinned them above my small body. I looked at him with fear in my eyes, he showed no trace of remorse or pity for me at all.

I wiggled as much as I could to try to free myself—anxiety causing me to almost hyperventilate from the nervousness and fear. Tears welled up in my eyes as he continued to watch me squirm with a deathly glare gazing at my fear stricken face.

"That's the look, the one that makes my blood boil." He says in a deep husky voice—warning laced into the simple phrase. "I'd watch myself from now on princess, who knows how far I'm willing to go. If you keep pissing me off; I might just kill you." He whispers in my ear—the warmth from his breath mingling with the threat, casing my body in a state of confusion. My body tingled all over but from what I couldn't tell.

He squeezed my wrists that were still captured by his large hands and flung my body making me topple over to hit the cold ground. The impact causing me to flinch in pain but the poison in my body numbed it a considerable amount. Normally I wouldn't be any different from a normal person. Why is it that when I get hurt, the pain never lasts very long?

Is this another side effect of the poison, my injuries healing at an abnormal rate?

The pain quickly subsided and I pushed myself back up as he walked away with his hands shoved deep into his pants pockets. Watching as his broad back fades behind the closed door, my blood began to boil. Why did he always assume the worst? I didn't do anything wrong, even if I wanted to do anything with that information; I wouldn't know the first thing about sabotage. Water leaked through the wooden walls making small droplets hit the floor with a soft patter. The sound was the only thing I could hear and it made me uneasy. It was cold with the moisture in the air and the darkness seemed to close around me.

I pushed myself up against the wall and pushed my knees up to my chest. My leggings the only true source of warmth on my body. Made of cotton, the leggings hugged my legs in warmth and comfort—whereas my dress was thick with material keeping my upper body somewhat warm amongst the chill in the air.

My blonde hair became tangled after the captain had thrown me around. My hair fell over my shoulders, strays cascading down my back. Tears welled up in my eyes at everything that's happened for far. No matter how long I try to stay strong something happens to break my confidence. This situation reminds me so much of my childhood.

"Aya, let's go play by the dam! I hear there are lots of caves to play in!" The young girl said excitedly, her brown hair cascading around her face with slight waves. Her bright hazel eyes reflecting off the moonlight. It was late and I had snuck out to play with one of my friends that my father hadn't known about.

I was wearing one of the nightgowns my father had created for me, and we ran out to play in the woods. It was dark so we couldn't see very much but we were young we didn't care. Once we had made it to the tree line my friend, Abby, tapped my shoulder and yelled, "you're it!" Before she scampered off into the forest.

I could remember laughing and having a good time as I chased her around by the edge of the dam. It was so dark though, I couldn't tell that my glove had been ripped off by one of the branches in the woods. We had ran all the way to the end of the dam, my feet hitting the concrete paving as I ran to catch up to Abby. I had reached out with a small smile tracing my lips as we laughed and played. I grabbed her arm to yell, "got you!" But I ended up burning her upper arm very badly because I didn't realize I was burning her.

She was screaming but I thought it was because I caught her; I didn't think anything of it. She staggered back away from me with tears in her eyes, "Stay away from me! Monster!" She cried. I froze in confusion before realizing that she had clutched her arm and blood was rolling down it. In my state of panic, I reached out to try to calm her down. I wanted to help her understand that I didn't mean to hurt her.

She stepped further away and before I got the chance to grab her; she tripped over the edge and fell to her death.

"Noooo!" I screamed out as I watched my friends face filled with horror disappear beneath the currents of the dam.

I sat in that spot for hours, sobbing for the girl that I once called my friend—remembering all the good times I had with her just made the tears swell up all the more.

Much like I am now, I felt trapped and I had gotten myself into this mess all on my own. How foolish was I to think that I could act even remotely normal..?