Chapter 28

I was stock still inside the tent, a few feet away from the captain as he examines his sword fervently. He was emitting a cold aura—one worse than any other I've ever seen him give off. He was as tall as a statue, lean and covered in muscle. You'd think with as large as he is, that he wouldn't be graceful but he walks with such poise and grace that I've ever seen.

He runs his long slender fingers across his blade—a dark look emanating on his face. He wears a dark look, his eyes glossed over as if he's not seeing anything around him, lost in deep thought. He strapped his delicate sword to his hip and he strode by me before turning to me with a serious look.

"Follow." He says strictly and to the point, no room for argument. Obediently, I follow him as quietly as possible as we escape the tented area. Not wasting anytime, he dashes at record speed through the thick dense trees, making it hard to follow. I barely managed to keep pace as he darted around with quick grace, almost like a panther stalking it's prey. He moved quickly but he never ran, brisk steps around trees and foliage—concentrating on his destination.

I had no idea where we were going but the captain ensured I was following, likely making sure I wouldn't escape. Stopping only once in a while, he'd turn and tell me to hurry my pace. I'd follow only because I didn't want to disobey and end up dead. We walked for what seemed like forever before I finally noticed the rest of the crew waiting in formation in front of what seemed to be an old fort of sorts.

Evan was wearing his usual stoic expression as he fiddled with his sword again, not even paying attention to our arrival. Levi was messing around with the younger crew members, annoying them as usual as we made our way towards them. I kept quiet as the captain led the way, not wanting to set him off somehow. He was brooding because of the Rebels and the fact that his important family matters were being interrupted by outsiders.

"What information did you manage to steal from them, Jacobs?" He spoke darkly addressing someone and I noticed Levi stiffen greatly at the use of that name.

"Sir, I keep telling you to not use my last name!" Levi whispers astonished at the use of a name he doesn't like to go by.

"Just answer the god damn question, Jacobs!" The captain shouts out in frustration, nostrils flared, anger present in his pools of amber. Levi flinches at the sudden loudness of his voice, sending chills down not only mine but everyone else's spines.

"T-there was some intel captain, but I'm sure it's something no one else needs to be aware of at this point in time, sir." He says nervously staring at the captain, yet not meeting his gaze as he shifts on his heels.

"What kind of intel, Jacobs?" He says indignantly towards Levi. Levi looks down then lips the words that seem to say, 'sister.' I was no master of reading lips but captain seemed to understand. It wasn't my business what he was looking for from the Rebels but I was curious, intrigued despite myself.

"Jacobs we will discuss this privately later, do you understand?" He says lividly, with promise of a cruel punishment if he doesn't meet his needs.

"Yes Sir." Levi says dejectedly as if worried about his own wellbeing. No one pays any heed to his silent plea as he was always joking around. I couldn't help but silently pray for Levi's safety.

~~~

We had walked for two long hours, sweating and complaining about the heat the entire way back. Levi was complaining about everything, one minute it was about the heat, next it was about how slow we were moving. I'm surprised he hasn't complained about our breathing as well, although I honestly wouldn't put it past him to do so.

I was currently walking behind Evan as the captain had taken the lead to lead us towards the shore once again, but it was grueling to walk in such a way that allowed me to keep following. He kept a steady pace but it was too fast to keep up to. I tried to keep up but I constantly tripped over my feet to stay behind him.

We were nearing the shore and it was beginning easy to tell. The ground became wet and squishy from the water and soon the dirt became sand. The clouds overhead were looking stormy and the wind began to pick up causing the leaves on the trees to wave in protest.

The wind was making it hard to see where I was going, my hair falling into my face blocking my vision. Sometimes I hated my long hair, only because it became such a hindrance in times like this. I was constantly pushing my hair back but it would only blow back into my face.

"Ugh, stupid-fucking-hair!" I yelled in protest as I continued to violently brush my hair away. I heard a broken chuckle and I noticed Levi standing a few feet ahead, his hand covering his mouth to hold in his laughter.

I glared at him through what little space of my hair I could, and surprisingly he handed me a hair tie with a small guilty smile. "Sorry, about everything I said earlier." He said with a small smile. I gave him a small skeptical smile but I was still grateful for his apology and the tie.

"Thank you, and I guess I can forgive you, only for now though." I said with a small smirk of my own and he chuckled before wrapping a arm over my shoulder. "Of course sweetheart, whatever you say." In that moment, everything was okay; But all good things must come to an end.