Chapter 41

I looked away from the intense glare of the captain, and looked down; My hair covering my now reddened face. I couldn't bear the thought of now bearing feelings of this matter. I've never felt this way before, I've hated people, I've cared for people but never have I had this weird feeling before. The want to stand near him, to touch him.

I've never wanted to touch another person so badly in my life, more so than even my father. A mere hug was too much of a thought for me, but to want to be in that person's mind, on his thoughts. Would he find it selfish of me, if I told him I wanted to learn more about him?

No, I feel like he'd hate me for something as useless as that. He has no room on his ship for more baggage. He needs me to find his sister, to find more about the whereabouts of my father. He's already made it very clear where I stand with him. I became too spoiled, I misunderstood his intentions.

That form of kindness he showered me in, the random hugs, the tears he'd wipe from my eyes and the comforting words; They were to win me over. I guess, he's already won.

~~

    I can't believe how stressed I've become over the course of the last week. My work has piled up since the kids tried to make a break for it. The captain of the other provinces made too many helpless requests for what they bear. I don't feel inclined to help them with their dumb requests.

The money was the only reason I'd pushed myself to do these stupid requests. If I had the money to buy weapons and food for my crew; then I wouldn't have to worry about them not doing what they've been told.

My only issue right now is dealing with Levi; he's been acting strangely since the kids came on board with Aya. I'm slightly intrigued by her off kilter behavior as it's different than I've encountered in my travels. I've been around the innocent girls who aren't actually innocent, the spoiled princesses who want whatever they can get their hands on and then there are the sluts.

I've never had problems with any girl, no matter her type. Aya is different though, she's not in any type. She acts on her own will and I can never predict what she's thinking. It's irritating because I'm known to be able to read people, know how they think before they do themselves. But her, she is completely unreadable and I don't know why.

The more I see her interact with people the more I can see her as who she actually is. She really is innocent, she smiles as if everything is okay around her, even though it's not. People tease her but she thinks it's compliments and she never understands a mans advances. So many of my men have tried flirting with her but she doesn't seem to understand.

I already assumed it was an act made up because of her condition and because of her father. No, she really is innocent; she's closed off from the reality around her. she doesn't understand things that she should at her age and that makes things more dangerous for her. I heard from Evan that she wants to learn how to use a sword, but I'm not sure she should ever wield one. She's pure and clean, she shouldn't have to dirty her hands. If it comes down to it, I'll protect her so she doesn't have to wield one.

I don't want another pointless death on my hands, at first she was annoying but now I find her laugh bringing me joy in my already tainted world. No, Aaron you can't think like that. She'll only end up dead if you shower her with unnecessary affection. Don't listen to your heart, always think before deciding on something like this.

She'd never survive in your world, she's much too innocent. She'd try to friend people before killing them it's too risky. I must push her away before it's too late.

I slammed open the door to the dining hall, I'd finished filling out more request paperwork and decided it was time to eat something. With all the requests that we've finished, I've been stressed out.

I sat down on one of the tables closer to the exit so when I was done I could leave and explain to Evan what we were going to do next. I pushed my hair back and hung my head back on the chair to relax for a moment. I heard a loud high pitched squeal which woke me from my moment of silence.

I leaned my head over an inch to peak at the source of the noise. Aya and Tessa were sitting at a table away from me talking about something. Aya had a red face that I've never seen her have before. I narrowed my eyes as I watched silently, never taking my gaze off of them.

They didn't seem to notice my presence either, "Oh my god! Aya that's adorable!" Tessa's high pitched squeal resounded throughout the hall. "Shh, Tessa I don't need anyone overhearing! Besides it's not like anything's gonna happen anyways!" Aya responded quickly, almost desperately to shut Tessa up.

"Oh come on, he can't be that bad! I mean, he took care of you for three days in a row!" Tessa said with a smirk on her face, causing Aya to blush profusely. Wait. . .

I sit up and listen intently, like a hawk stalking its prey, waiting for the right moment to pounce.

"T—That's because I was sick! You know it's very rare for me to get sick! That's the first time since I was five, when I got diagnosed with—with this curse!" She said with desperation, fiddling with her fingers on the table. She quickly grabbed her spoon and dig into the mashed potatoes before Tessa narrowed her eyes. "Don't think you can avoid the question by stuffing your face with potatoes!" She froze with the spoon mid air, before she looked over slightly and noticed me. She jumped up as if she seen a ghost and her face reddened even more. It was kinda funny to be honest.

"Aya! You like the captain!" Tessa said with a huge grin on her face. Surprise soon found me at that statement, and Aya knew I heard.
"N—No I," She said looking anywhere but near me. Oh, so that's what this is about; She has a bit of a crush does she?

I ignored her presence the rest of dinner so I could focus on the matter on hand. I needed to hurry and find my sister, Aya can't stay here with those personal emotions. I can't look at her that way, nor will I ever.

~~~

Hey everyone just to let my readers know, from here on out it's gonna get deep. The captains nice streak will run out and this is where he shows his 'true' colors. I wanted this warning for those of you who may have gotten a wrong impression of him. I need to go back and edit because in parts I made him nice when I shouldn't have. It's a bad habit lol

Please leave a comment and don't forget to share this with your friends! It's greatly appreciated! :D