Chapter 2

"There's always a rainbow after a storm."

~~~

I looked at my father in surprise, then stood up quickly almost knocking the chair over from my momentum. "I can really go? You're not pulling my leg?" I said excitedly. 'Father never lets me go!'

Father chuckles before standing up slowly. "Yeah, I need your help for once. I got a phone call from one of my assistants." He says seriously. 'I wonder what happened?' "What did your assistant say?" I mumbled nervously. "There's been a rebel organization that's been stealing medical supplies. I need your help watching over the children while we work on the sickly." My Father says before putting the empty plates in the sink.

He turns to look at me. "Can you handle it?" He says with a blank look, worried about my safety I'm sure.

I jumped up and down excitedly, I'm finally able to help! "Of course I'll help!" I said excitedly, running over to my Father to hug him. "Calm down a bit Aya, it's a serious job!" He said laughing as he squeezed me tight.

"Be careful though Aya, this is a dangerous job. If one of the rebels break in, don't hesitate to fight back!" Father said seriously while tightening his hold. I look up at my father and smile to reassure him I'd be okay.

~~~

I looked at my father one more time before I ran back to my prison of a room, grabbing everything I was told to grab. I was nervous but excited to finally help everyone. I'll be watching the children but I must be sure to protect them well.

I never knew there was an organization out there stealing supplies. I wonder what they're looking for?

I grabbed my back pack and walked downstairs to where my father was waiting. He saw me coming down the stairs and smiled at me nervously. I knew he was worried but he needs my help and it makes me happy. "Alright come on Aya, let's do this." He grabs my hand and pulls me out the door. It's been a long time since I've been outside.

Once I stepped outside the door I suddenly became nervous. The smell of radiation in the air was enough to make one cringe. All the trees were dead and the water was pitch black. I could smell death in the air, random people walking looked like hell.

I walked down the stairs slowly, people looked up and their eyes widened in surprise. No one's seen me leave the house in forever. No wonder people are surprised, maybe even scared of me. 'Not that I mind, it's been that way for a long time.' The man on the cracked sidewalk ten feet from me glared harshly at me and I flinched taken aback.

"Don't mind the people Aya, they are just worried." My father said to reassure me. I know deep down that it won't be okay, people will always be scared of me.

My father grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the clinic. I heard it was on Drove St. It was a fifteen-minute walk from our house. I didn't mind the walk through. It was nice to finally get out, even though everything was dead.

~~~

We finally arrived at the clinic after walking for what seemed like forever. The clinic was located in an old, broken down building. The building was once a hospital or so I've been told. The ulterior of the building was all white stones.

One would think it was a brick building made out of stone but it wasn't. Simple white stones outlined the building. The front doors of the hospital were clear glass sliding doors. They probably worked but are covered in so much dust it was hard to tell.

We walked up to the doors and once they opened all I could smell was medicine and alcohol. We walked inside the building and I could tell they've taken care as much as they could of the building. The blue tile floors were cracking and broken but all the counters were cleaned.

I saw the receptionist and she smiled at us but I could tell she was tired. "Hello Dr. Lorèn, is this your daughter I've heard so much about?" The receptionist was slightly young with brown curly waves put up into a messy bun, with bright blue eyes. She looked very kind.

"Yeah, this is my daughter Aya. Aya this is my assistant I was telling you about. This is Alicia." I smiled at the woman and shook her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you Aya." She said with a smile.

"Likewise, it's nice to meet you, Alicia," I said back with a smile, and stepped back in line with my father.

"Alicia, can you show Aya where the children are? I'm going to go and tend to the sick." My father said and Alicia smiled then nodded to him. "Of course, follow me Aya." She said and told me to follow.

She led me through a series of halls before she stopped at a large wooden door. She opened the door and four children were playing in the room. Two little girls and two boys were running around. One of the girls had curly blonde hair where as the other had red hair that was straight as a board. The boys both had dark brown hair and looked like twins. The girls stopped and turned to look at me and I noticed the blonde girl had green emerald eyes where as the red haired girl had bright blue eyes.

The boys were yelling at each other while play fighting and I saw the glimpse of bright blue eyes. They both had such bright eyes that I couldn't help but wish mine were natural like theirs'.

"Okay, everyone! This is Aya. She's going to keep an eye on you guys alright. Be sure to behave yourselves." Alicia said with a sweet smile and turned towards me. "The blonde one is Tessa. The red haired one is Renee. The two boys are Noah and Ryan. Please take good care of them okay? They are the only children left in the village. I'm not sure if your father told you, but they are immune to the diseases. They are very special to us." She said sweetly with a hint of malice. It was too sweet I could tell she was serious about their safety.

Edited (8/4/2017)