Chapter 22

2 Days Later...

§

As the morning sun rises, I'm forced awake by the sounds of loud yelling and footsteps on the deck. Its been two days of constant banter on figuring a way off the ship. I never did find much information and it irritates me even more when the captain continues to degrade me.

I've had very few encounters with anyone since two days ago because they were all busy preparing for some big thing they've been planning for a while.

I didn't hear much on the matter since everyone on the ship was running around following Evan's orders. Evan closed himself off from me and Levi continues to tease me when he sees me but it's very minimal.

I managed to make up with Tessa and the kids after fully explaining to them my circumstances. Renee is still cautious and wary of me but she doesn't run away anymore.

I opened my eyes slowly, painfully aware of the morning and all the annoying noises around me. I rolled over onto my back and looked up to the ceiling blankly. I cautiously look to the left of me and see the sun just barely above the horizon.

'Its only six o'clock!' I grumbled in agitation before turning under my covers and burying my head into my pillow. This day's already horrible and I haven't even woke up yet.

As I think this, I hear the door slowly creak open and I tense up under the blankets. 'Who came in?' Thinking about it was a horrible idea because I let my guard down and Tessa ripped the blanket off me.

"Time to get up and eat some breakfast Aya!" She yells by my side with an cruel smile. "Don't ignore me or I'll pour cold water all over you!" She says with a huge smile. It didn't show her true intentions as it didn't meet her eyes. She was deadly serious about soaking me in ice water.

"Okay, I'm up..." I say with a croak like voice and as I try to sit up, I'm met with a glass of cold water.

"Here you go!" She smiles gently at me this time before flipping her long, curly blonde hair over her shoulder out of her face.

"If your not up we'll leave without you!" She says with a broad smile before bouncing out of the room.

'Boy she has a lot of energy this morning.' I think coldly as I pry myself from the warmth and comfort of my bed.

I walk towards the door after putting on my gloves and boots before looking out the window again.

What exactly is going on anyways?

I open the door and as I do, I notice Levi walking by with a sour expression on his face. I don't say anything and mind my own business as I walk towards the dining hall.

As I made it to the end of the long hallway abd ascend the stairs, I notice everyone rushing around grabbing weapons and packing supplies.

"Make sure to pack everything you'll need!" Evan shouts authoritatively as everyone continues to run about frantically.

"Yes sir!" They shout back as they continue running about.

'What's going on?' I wonder curiously, confused wasn't even the proper word. I was nervous, worried and a little skeptical of what was going to happen.

Was this a bad thing they are preparing for? Why are they all grabbing swords and guns? Why so much panic?

All these questions ran a muck in my head as I observed them running around. I shake the thoughts away to focus on the matter at hand, food.

"Aya, over here!" I heard Noah yell with a loud chuckle as he ran back inside. I suppressed the smile forming in my face and walked into the dining hall.

I saw all the kids sitting at one of the long tables in the back of the room away from everyone else. The dining room was relatively large in comparison to the other rooms but it lacked the home like feel most people adored.

There were candle like lights hanging on the wall, plastered there by a metal brace. The light was dim enough to give the room almost an eerie feel to it. All the tables were long tables, large enough to fit at least eight grown men. There was about ten tables that could do as such, proving there are a lot of men on the captain's ship.

I ignored the curious glances from the pirates as always and head towards the back. They constantly whispered about me but it didn't bother me anymore.

I plopped down beside Tessa and Renee then looked at my plate filled with eggs and bacon. It smelled delicious as the cook here was actually pretty good. I was always expecting some horrible foods but they were always amazing.

Oddly enough, I felt more at home here than I ever did at home. Even though I'm treated differently, no one runs from me and no one hides what they feel about me. Everyone here is very open on how they feel and that makes me feel more at ease.

I'd rather someone openly tell me they hate me than plotting behind my back.

I dug into the food in front of me as always and talked openly with Tessa. She was the oldest out of the children but she was still very mature. You wouldn't even think she was eleven. I never had any friends, let alone a female one, so it was nice I could talk to her openly.

"So Aya, what's it like having that poison? It hinders things doesn't it?" Tessa asks innocently, a bright gleam in her eye.

"Well it's a struggle to do normal things without my gloves. That's why I never take them off so I can help do things or do things for myself." I answer honestly watching her expressions change. She always makes the funniest faces while she talks.

"Have you ever gone to pick up a glass of water and forget you didn't have your gloves?" She asks curiously and I sigh in defeat. I might as well answer her questions.

"Yeah, I've done it more times than I can count. I'll admit I'm kinda clumsy." I say shyly in return to her question, ignoring her smirk by shoving more food into my mouth.

"Have you burnt someone on accident before because of your clumsiness?" I coughed on my food at the question and tried to regain my composure.

"I...may have once or twice." I said hesitantly. "So you never actually meant to hurt anyone?" She continues.

"No I'd never hurt someone intentionally." I answered seriously and looked at her for reassurance. She gave me a smile that was very genuine. "Thank you Aya. For being honest and always protecting us even when the world is against you too." I jumped up in surprise at the statement and couldn't hold in my tears of happiness. I reached over and hugged Tessa and she flinched in surprise at the randomness of the motion.

I didn't let go though and she finally relaxed as she patted my head like I was a little kid. 'I'm supposed to comfort you, not the other way around...' I thought with tears streaming down my face.

"Everything will be okay Aya, we'll protect you. As long as you protect us." She said and all I could do was nod.