Chapter 5

"Treat me like a king, and I'll treat you like a queen. Play Me like a game, and I'll show you how it's played."

~~~

The men that entered the building continued to search for what seemed like hours, even though it was only fifteen minutes or so. I didn't know what to do so I sat still and stayed quiet. They eventually left after not finding much.

I'm glad I didn't have to engage with them because theoretically speaking; I would've had to fight and I'd lose.

Walking back to the room I made the children wait in, I planned what to do inside my head. We will wander to the village nearby and ask for directions to the capital. I heard it's the safest place right now. It's our only hope If I want to successfully protect them.

I opened the door and noticed Tessa stiffen but relax noticing it's just me. "We are good for now, they left," I said seriously while walking close to them. "What do we do now?" Renee asked nervously, eyeing my every movement. "We head to the village nearby. Do you guys have any idea where it is?" I asked looking towards Tessa.

She merely nods in response. "Yes it's a boating village; I heard a lot of Pirates lodge there though." She shivers saying the word 'pirate.' "Pirates? I didn't know they were a thing. I take it they don't have a good reputation." I asked curiously, they must be dangerous then.

"They are dangerous, and one of the most ruthless of the pirates tends to dock there," Tessa says nervously, she shakes slightly in fear. "It'll be okay we will try to avoid them then," I mumbled as I rub her back encouragingly.

I grabbed Tessa and Renee's hand before nodding at the boys to follow. "Let's get out of here for now. We can worry about the pirates later." I mumbled seriously; I need to be brave for them.

We grabbed everything we found and headed towards the front door cautiously. I made them stay behind me as we walked. I slowly pushed open the front door and peeked around making sure it's completely clear. I didn't notice anything off and made them run with me back to the main road.

Once back on the main road Tessa tapped my shoulder and I looked over to see a TTC soldier riding a horse down the road. He had one walking behind him as he rode the other. He must be transporting the horse to someone. Tessa looked at me with a mischievous look and I looked at her confused. 'What Is she-' My eyes widened in understanding and before I could stop her, She had knocked out the soldier with a huge rock.

She hopped on the horse and calmed It down easily. Noah and Ryan grabbed the other horse while I stood there dumbstruck. What the hell? They just horse-jacked that guy!

"Why did you do that? That's stealing you know!" I mumbled flabbergasted. "Well, horses are too expensive to buy. Plus it's a long trip; I'm not walking." Tessa stated as a matter-of-fact. "Renee hops on with me, Aya gets on too," Tessa said seriously and I couldn't help but admire her. She's so young but she can handle herself so well.

I can't do anything other than melt things; I'm so weak compared to her. It's okay though I will fight to the best of my ability. This is my job after all. If my father died protecting us, I'll die protecting them. I don't have the time to weep, I miss him but I need to keep us safe.

I feebly hop on the horse and Tessa takes the reigns. Ryan and Noah are laughing behind us and I look over my shoulder to glare at them. They both look at me then make funny faces and I can't stay mad. I laugh at their antics before looking ahead. We are finally headed towards the village.

"How long do you think it'll take by a horse?" I asked curiously, my arms wrapped gently around Renee who is equally hanging on to Tessa. "It takes a couple hours at most, on foot would've taken us a day at most," Tessa says focusing on the road ahead. "Oh, I see," I mumble while waiting for us to arrive at our destination.

~~~

It took us four hours on a horse to get to the huge village along the river. We stopped three times for snack breaks and such but it was the longest ride I've ever been on. It was fun to me because I've never done such things before.

When we got to the village I was amazed by the size and beauty it still had. All the trees were still in good health and all the people looked happy and healthy. 'How many villages still look like this?' I thought to myself as I looked around. There were children playing and people walking around the market.

I noticed the large dock and the huge ship that was anchored. 'I wonder who owns that. It's huge.' We pull over to an inn by the edge of the docks and I pay for a room to share. We take what little belongings we have into the room, before sitting to discuss what to do now.

"Aya why don't you go down to the dock and ask around for directions to the capital. I'll stay here and keep us out of sight." Tessa suggests as I look out the open window. I breathe in the smell of the ocean water as the breeze flows through my hair. It's very relaxing.

"Alright, I can do that. Just be careful and don't leave the room under any circumstance." I say seriously as I push my hair from my face and turn to leave. "Okay well be fine. I'll be here waiting." She says as I turn to the door, ready to ask around.

Edited (8/4/2017)