Chapter 6

"You don't meet people by accident, there's always a reason. Be it a lesson or a blessing."

~~~

I walked down towards the docks after leaving the inn, nervousness filling my gut with mush. I needed to ask around for directions but I was so overwhelmed. I've never had to talk to strangers before and they always thought of me as a monster.

So seeing all the friendly faces looking at me and saying hi before walking away made my stomach churn. It filled with excitement, nervousness, and fear. 'What exactly am I fighting for?' I thought to myself as I walked by another group of kids playing. 'Oh yeah, to protect the children at all costs. To protect their future. Is that what I really want though? Is there more to me that I can't reach?'

I frowned while thinking that but soon shook that thought away. I needed to focus on the task at hand.

"Hey did you hear?" an older man whispered nervously.

"Hear what?" a man asked who must've been in his thirties.

"The pirate ship that belongs to Aaron docked last night. I heard he's planning on plundering one of the villages on the coast." the elderly man said with a serious voice.

"Aaron! He's not planning on attacking our village right? He's here somewhere now as we speak!" The younger man said in surprise, fear playing on his features. 'Who the hell is Aaron?' I listened intently for more information but they seemed to have changed their conversation.

I wandered further into town, a single thought trapped in my mind. Who is Aaron, is he some ruthless pirate? I saw a saloon that was occupied by lots of people; I could hear swearing then came to the smell of blood and alcohol. I saw two men run out screaming before disappearing down one of the back alleys.

"Hey, hold up you asshole! Where's my money?!" Another man said as he stormed out after them. He was relatively young with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. He stood at around 5'11 so he was just a bit taller than me. He noticed me standing there and winked at me playfully before walking away leaving me dumbstruck. What the hell was that about?

I shrugged my shoulders and went to walk away but I stumbled into something hard. A wall? There wasn't a wall there before? I stepped back to look in front of me and a man was glaring down at me. He pushed me off to the side before scoffing at my presence.

I didn't get much time to process anything but the anger in my stomach. What the hell was his problem? I didn't get to look at his appearance as he had already disappeared.

I huffed in anger before looking around to see an elderly lady looking at me with a small sad smile. She walked up to me and I stiffened a bit in anticipation of being called a monster again, like the old lady that hated me in my village.

"Hey dear, I'm surprised. Do you know who that man was?" She said quietly as if being heard could mean death. "No I don't know who he is and honestly I could care less," I said seriously walking away from her. "That man is feared across the whole world little lady. Not a person in this world is unaware of his presence. That is the ruthless pirate Aaron." She somewhat yelled to me from a couple feet away. 'That was Aaron? The man everyone feared? He just looked like an arrogant, egotistical bastard to me.'

I turned and thought it over before asking, "Why does everyone fear him? I don't really know much, I never left my home." I asked curiously, I've never learned to the outside world.

"Ah, so you've never ventured out before now? Well dear, he's like a Prince of all the pirates. He acts high and mighty as we walk over all his subjects. Many worship the ground he walks on but he's nothing other than an arrogant man. He'll kill any who oppose him, then soil their names. He's a bad man but many worship him because of his good looks and money. I found you interesting because instead of fawning over him or crying in fear; you merely stared at him blankly. Not many are like that." She said as I stared at her wide eyed. Was he really that big a deal?

"There are also rumors saying that he's actually the Prince of a long ago forgotten kingdom. No one knows for sure though, many assume so because of his money and looks." She added on before shrugging. "You just looked like someone who was confused. I hope that helped you some." She mumbled and started to walk away.

"Wait!" I yelled after her and she turned with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah?" I shyly looked down before asking, "Do you know the way to the capital?" I asked nervously, playing with the hem of my dress. It's awkward asking someone for help.

"Oh, are you and some family heading there? It's safer there or so I've heard. It's a really long journey though. It'd be a lot faster by boat. The ferry that takes you is on hold right now though. On foot, it'd take you a week to get there." She said seriously, before slapping my shoulder. "I wish you luck on your journey.