Chapter 31

As I began to come out of my reverie, the door slammed open and a pissed off Levi walked in carrying a tray of food. It had a small glass of water and what looked to be mashed potatoes and gravy with a side of chicken.

He set the tray down in front of me and glared at me profusely before slamming the door shut on his way out. 'Nice to see you too, Levi,' I thought sourly. I looked at the small dish in front of me, barely even a full serving here. I guess they're not even going to feed me properly. I pulled myself close to the tray still sitting on the cold wet floor. I'm glad that my clothes can hold some of my body heat in them otherwise I'd probably end up with pneumonia and that'd be bad in my situation.

I grabbed the small spoon that Levi had provided for me and began to eat the food as if I hadn't eaten in a while. As I continued to scoop spoonful after spoonful of mashed potatoes, I had noticed that tears were running down my face. I began to tremble and shake as the tears came harder down.

"I did this to myself..." I mumbled through the thick salty tears. My hair began to knot up from being in the humidity for so long and I began to get somewhat light headed. Before I could even realize what was happening, I started to fall forward through a dense haze before all I saw was blackness.

~~~

"What do you mean by that Jacobs?" I say with a snarl as I fix the tie on my suit, getting ready to leave for another patrol to find information. For the last two days I've been scouting around small villages for information on Riviera's whereabouts. Levi came up with a preposterous idea that the children might know something but why would I trust some little brats? Especially after that wench went putting her nose where it didn't belong. I don't trust any of them, not even for a second.

I straightened out my suit and made sure my gloves were on my hands. I always tried to hold an important presence whenever I went somewhere. Why, you may ask? Well, it's easier to gain information from people when you look important. Most people don't even know what I look like so it helps me gather intel on a wide variety of things. I grab my katana from beside my desk and make sure it's attached to its halter across my waist.

I never leave without it, this katana was handed down to me from generations. This sword is my all time favorite, I hate using other swords especially that old one I was using. It was flimsy as hell. I've never had to resharpen my sword as many times as that old one. I let out an irritated sigh and ran my gloved hand through my hair. It was kinda messy from getting up, and I didn't care to fix it.

"I'm just saying that maybe they might know something. They were with that girl when we found them. Weren't they originally from Riviera?" Levi grumbles at me and he shuffles on his feet nervously. That may be true but who's to say they won't lead us on some goose chase? I scoffed at Levi but agreed anyways, "Fine Jacobs, but you're in charge of getting the information. Do I make myself clear?" I slapped my hand on his shoulder and squeezed tightly and he winced in pain.

"Y-Yes Sir!" He yelled out in pain and I merely nodded my head in understanding before walking towards the door. "Oh and Levi?" I say looking over my shoulder to snarl at him, "Yes sir?" I narrowed my eyes at him some more at his confused state. "Check on the girl, I don't want her dying. What kind of punishment is it if I let her out easy?" I smirked cruelly at him.

"O-Of course Sir, right away sir!" He sprints past me making me shake my head in disappointment. He acts tough but he's still such a child. When will he ever learn? Compassion and kindness will lead you no where as a pirate. Everyone learns in their own way I suppose but he'll only get hurt in the end. 

~~~

I sprinted down the hall, huffing and puffing from overexertion as I made my way to the basement of the ship. Why do I have to check on her? If she dies it's not my business, captain will be responsible not me. I let out an irritated sigh as I approach the door and fling it open harshly.

"Hey you alive in here?!" I yell out before noticing the girl passed out on the ground. Or is she dead already? I walked up to her and turned her over on her side, avoiding touching her bare arms because of the poison. She has an extremely pale face and she looked kinda cold. Her face was scrunched up in pain and she was shivering really bad. I wanted to touch her forehead for a fever but I can't because of the poison.

I grit my teeth in annoyance, yet at the same time I was kinda worried. I put her legs under my left arm and carefully lifted her up without touching her skin. She's a lot lighter than I thought she'd be.

I walked up to the surface of the ship, carrying an unconscious woman in my arms. Her blonde hair was matted on her forehead from sweat, once in a while groaning in pain. "What the hell Levi? Captain told you to make sure she's alive, not seduce her!" Evan yelled from across the deck, just now noticing I wasn't paying attention; he walks closer to me.

"Why aren't you—what happened?!" He yelled as he noticed Aya groaning and whimpering in pain. "I don't know, I went down to check on her and she was passed out."

We both looked at her pale face which was contorted in pain and suddenly became very conscious of the fact that the captain wasn't here.