Stealer

Unknown: Flora, I'm sorry.

Unknown: It's just that I haven't seen my daughter in a long time

Unknown: I really want you to consider living with me for a while. It would be fun.

The darkness was easy on my eyes when the vibration from my phone work me up. Unlike the darkness, the light of my screen was harsh. This shit was like acid on the eyes but nothing was worse than being woken up by a dickwad who was texting me from a different phone about how I should live with him. I was indeed, not going to consider the shit that he would put me through.

Slamming my phone on the nightstand, I rolled over in my almost empty bed. Thorin was in his and honestly, I wished he wasn't. As crazy as it may seem, I slept better whenever we camped out in my room. But that night, I was riding solo. Well, sleeping solo but it was basically the same thing.

Slumber was about to find me once again, ready to drift me off into a land of dreams. But no. Someone just had to keep texting me. Huffing, I rolled over and was ready to verbally kill the person who was harassing my phone. The phone kept flashing on and off had it done when I posted that picture on Cutesy. Of course that wouldn't happen again. After coming to the realization that there were indeed men who were way over fifty on that app, I was a little grossed out and disgusted with myself.

My brows furrowed.

Mel: I'm coming over. Get ready to come outside.

Mel: we're going to be out for a while. wear black.

Mel: Snacks would be also appreciated.

I jumped out of my nice and warm bed and onto the floor without making a thud that would wake up my mother again. There was only a few people in this world that I would get out of bed for and Mel was one of them. I knew she was serious about coming over and that I didn't really have a choice in this matter. By her texts, it seemed like she was going on a mission and that I was invited.

The light in my closet flickered and allowed me to see all the dark clothes that I already owned. I grasped at the first long sleeved t shirt that I saw and a pair of black skinny jeans that I was beginning to feel more comfortable wearing. The clothes easily slid over me as I pulled them up aggressively. Black socks and black boots went on my feet in the matter of seconds. Looking in the mirror, I looked like I was ready to rob someone.

Just as I was about to turn off the light, I noticed something. Something that was missing. No, it wasn't the mesh shirt that Thorin wanted me to wear. It was there, and scrunched up. The bottle that held my caffeine pills was missing from the spot that I knew I had placed it in. There was only one other person besides my mother and I that have actually been in my room more specifically, my closet that would have been able to take them.

Thorin.

Mel: im outside.

As much as I was appreciative that Mel wanted to hang out with me, I was not appreciating the fact that this was in the middle of the night. Huffing, I placed the phone in my pocket and tried my best to open my door with minimal squeaking. The universe was finally on my side and didn't make the steps groan as I stepped on them, thinking that I was light as a feather. Me thinking that I was only an ounce would have been easier if I had an extra dosage of caffeine. But no. Thorin had to take it.

Each foot took a step after each other until I was on the last step. On the tip of the boots, I walked on the wooden floor until I was at the front door. Only inches separated me, the door and the crazy woman that was behind it. Slowly, I opened the door, leaving me vulnerable to the outside world.