Roommute

AN: 

Description: Dan's never had anyone but his sister but now, he has Phil. Pastel!Dan and Punk!Phil

TWs: Selective mutism, mentions of abuse 

.  .   .  . 

"This is it," Em said, pretending to wipe a tear from her eye. "My smol child is going off to college. I remember when I took you to preschool."

Dan rolled his eyes and smacked his older sister's arm.

"Oi! Don't you get all sassy with me, mister," Em said, crossing her arms. "I'm still your caretaker!"

Dan rolled his eyes again.

"Okay, maybe not so much now," the woman muttered, chewing on her nails. "You don't need me anymore."

Dan pulled his sister's hand away from her mouth causing her to smile nervously.

"But that doesn't mean that I don't need you."

Dan gave her a pointed look.

"Yes, I'll remember to eat. Don't look at me like that. Who's the younger sibling here?"

Dan shrugged in a 'I dunno' manner.

"Hey! Okay, maybe I walked into that one. You'll be okay, right?"

Dan gave her another pointed look.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it. You'll be fine. I just worry. What if something happens and I can't take care of you? I know, I know, it'll be fine but what if it isn't?" Em raised her hand to begin to chew on her nails again. "What if someone hurts you and you can't call out for help?"

Dan pulled her hands away again but she just covered her face and Dan felt helpless. He touched her hands to get her to pull them away. Sometimes he really hated being selectively mute.

. .   . .

"Do you want me to stay until your roommate comes?" Em asked.

Dan tapped his chin, thinking about the option before nodding. He decided that maybe Em should explain the situation due to the fact that she could.

"I'm sorry about earlier," she muttered. "I know you don't like it when I cover my face so you can't communicate with me.

Dan waved his hand in a dismissive manner.

"I'm really sorry. I know it makes you feel help-"

The door pushed open to reveal a tall man with black hair swept to the side in a fringe, similar to Dan's own hair. He had pale skin, blue eyes, and piercings. He was dressed in a Fall Out Boy t-shirt, leather jacket, black skinny jeans, and combat boots.

"Oh, um, hi," he said. "Are you my roommate?"

Dan nodded.

"Yeah, Dan is," Em said. "I'm his older sister. I came to drop him off. I just wanted to let you know he's mute."

"Oh, really?"

"Yep, anyway, I have to go. I'll see you later, Dan. Nice to meet you, um...."

"Phil Lester."

"Phil! Nice name. Okay, I'm off. Don't get into any trouble, Dan!" The woman shouted as she dashed out of the room and down the hall.

"She seems nice."

Dan reached into a box and pulled out his whiteboard and pen. "A bit scatterbrained but nice," Dan wrote and handed it over to Phil.

Phil laughed. "That's not very nice."