This Was Supposed to Happen

Chapter 16

-Saige-

I stared blankly at my ceiling. At the moment I felt nothing. I wasn't afraid of Perrie, I wasn't confused about my feelings for Zayn. I didn't feel broken. I felt nothing.

I just wish I can slowly sink into a deep sleep and hope that no one will wake me up. I laid motionless onto the matress. I need some time alone. I need to feel alive again. Maybe I'll run away from all of my problems and fears.  

I swung my legs off the matress. I grabbed my coat and rushed outside. The cool breeze kissed my skin, making my nose and cheeks turn into a crimson red. I walked down the path towards the bridge; where I usually allow my thoughts to fly away. I smiled once I saw the bridge. I sat at the edge and my smile faltered then faded.

Just breathe. I told myself.

I felt all of the weight on my shoulders lift up. It felt as if I had nothing to worry about. It sure as hell feels good to be alone.

"Saige?" An unfamiliar voice called. "Uh, Harry?" I replied once I saw the famous face that makes teenage girls swoon. "Hey." He smiled. "We haven't talked in a while-- after we wrote that song, actually." Harry swung his legs to the edge of the bridge, joining me. "Sorry about that, I've been having problems with my emotions." I sighed. Harry nodded, understanding that I was having problems with my feelings for Zayn.

"I was actually meaning to show you this other song I've written, but unfortunately I left it back at the house." I shrugged. "It's fine, show me next time?" Harry smiled. "Of course." I nodded. "So, what are you doing around here?" I asked. "I like to take a few walks by myself once in a while." Harry replied. "What about you?" "Just wanted my anxiety to go away. This is where I let go of myself for a second." Harry stared at me intently. "That's deep." He laughed. "Oh shut up," I laughed along.

"Well Saige, I'm about to go." My smile faltered a bit. "Okay." Although I like being alone, it doesn't hurt to have someone by your side. "Do you want to come with me?" Harry ran a hand through his hair. "Depends. Where are you going?" "I was actually going to pick up my hair stylists daughter. You remember Lou, right?" He said. "Yeah, I think so. She always dyes her hair different colors?" I asked. "Yup, she's the one." Harry nodded. "Sure, I'll come along." I said, dusting off my jeans as I stood up.

"Hey, Harry." I called.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know when Perrie's coming back?" I asked.

Harry gave me a sideways glance. "I thought you wanted your thoughts to go away?" He chuckled. "I heard she's coming back Saturday." Saturday. That's in three days! "Why do you ask?" Harry asked. I laughed awkwardly. "No reason. You know I just wanted to hang out with her since we're friends and all." "That's bullshit and you know it." Harry laughed.

I took a deep breath. "Okay, can I just say something to get it off my shoulders?" Harry motioned for me to continue. "I want Zayn back but I don't at the same time. I feel like I'm some hopeless romantic, because I keep thinking that someday he'll do something to be mine again." I spoke quickly. "When I saw him almost two years ago now, I told him I'd be okay about him leaving. And obviously, I'm not okay." I breathed in a huge breath. Harry set his hands onto my shoulders.

"Saige," Harry spoke breathlessly. "Why are you still trying?" I shrugged. "I feel like there's still a chance that we can be together." I said softly. "So you gave him another chance?" Harry furrowed his eyebrows. I felt dumb.

I am a dumb, naive girl. "Why do you keep trying when he's not?" Harry asked exasperated. I shrugged. "I'm sorry for saying this Saige, but why should you put some effort into this when he's not?" He repeated. "I-" I tried to speak out but my voice faltered.

"Maybe this was supposed to happen." Harry sighed. "What if you and Zayn stay as friends?" I felt tears rim around my eyes. Stop... Stop talking about him... Please. I begged, but I just couldn't get the words out of my mouth. "Just take my advice," Once I blinked a tear rolled down my cheek. "Let him go."

"I--I'm sorry, Harry. I just can't right now. I finally got him to be my friend again, I don't want to lose him again." I choked out. Harry wiped my tears away with the pad of his thumb. "Saige-" "No, you don't need to say anything. I'm just going to go, okay?" I pulled his hands away from my face. "I'll see you later, yeah?" I said before walking away.

"For Christ sake Saige! He's gone! He left you a year ago. Why are you so blind?"

"You have to get over it."

"Stay away from him."

"The truth is Saige, your a beautiful, wonderful girl. You're the best thing thats ever happened to me, but I just don't feel it...I'm sorry."

I broke down crying at the bridge. What if this was supposed to happen? Zayn fell out of love and Perrie hates me. This was supposed to happen.

(A/N) Very short. :/ shortest chapter ever I think.  I wanted to update really badly so this is what I came up with. ily! leave feedback!