One Day

Chapter 36

-Zayn-

"Give me one day," Saige blurts. I furrow my eyebrows.

"What?"

Saige sighed. "Give me-- us one day to pretend everything is okay." She explained. "Please," She begged.

Never in my life have I seen Saige this vulnerable. She looked beautiful even with the circles under her eyes. I wish I haven't left back to the UK,  I could've stayed with her and none of this would have happened. Everything always seems to never go to plan.

"Okay," I murmured.

I watched as Saige's eyes lit up. It made me smile.

"You've got four hours, Miller." I added. "Impress me."

"Aye, aye, captain."

***

Mt. Diablo by The Story So Far began to play softly from the car speakers.

"Something new," I commented. "I didn't know you listened to rock?" I furrowed my eyebrows. Saige shrugged.

"Alison has been playing it a bunch." She tapped her fingers to the beat onto the steering wheel.

We stayed silent the whole ride. It felt nice. The silence felt nice. It made me realize how much I missed this. How we would play music and drown into the bass and treble. How her perfume seemed to be the only thing I could smell. I wasn't even holding her hand, but I felt warm.

"Where are you taking us?" I asked, bringing the volume down.

"I have a place in mind, but I'm not sure if I want to go there just yet." She bit her lip.

"You've got to impress me," I smirked.

"I know," She laughed. "Don't give up on me." She softly smiled.

"I won't."

***