Us Against the World

Chapter 23

-Saige-

This is the kiss that I've longed for. It was soft and sweet, but it still managed to ignite fire throughout my body. He held me tight, as if he let go I'd disappear. I felt him smile into the kiss, I did the same. It felt like our first kiss together all over again. I felt myself fall for him again and again. Overall, this gave me premature ventricular contractions. But all good things must come to an end.

I don't know why I kissed him, but I did. And I don't regret it.

I pulled away, my cheeks immediately heating up. "I-I'm sorry." I blurted out, walking away from him. "Saige," Zayn held onto my wrist. I didn't try to pull away this time. "Why are you scared?" I gave him a confused look.

What was he talking about?

"Why are you scared of me? Of you?" He cleared up. "Why are you scared of falling in love?" He finally said. I swallowed the lump in my throat and gave him an honest answer. "I'm not scared of falling in love," I responded. "I'm just frightened at the thought of people leaving. It truly hurts to see someone you love so much leave you; all the memories, thoughts, promises. I don't want to be alone again. I don't want to be happy when I know that's not how I truly feel." I explained.

"Perrie-"

"What about her?" Zayn furrowed his eyebrows

"She-- she's planning something, I just know it."

"What are you talking about?" Zayn brushed a strand of hair out of my face. I took a deep breath.

"She has told me that you never really loved me and if I'm ever seen with you, she'd do something-- I don't know what she'll do."

"Perrie's harmless, she wouldn't hurt you physically, okay? Listen, I did and still love you. I don't regret meeting you. I don't hate you, either. I never could. And I don't regret loving you. How could I ever forget my first love?"

Saying that I was speechless is an understatement.

"Can we go back to the way it was? Just you and me-- against the world, remember that?" Zayn squeezed my hand, intertwining them in the process. "Please," His words tugged at my heartstrings.

"Zayn, I need some time-"

"How much? I'll give you all the time in the world, if that'll make you love me."

"Thank you." I gave him a small smile, which he gratefully sent back.

It was silent for a while, until he broke the ice. "I'm leaving soon." He seemed to blurt out. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why?"

Zayn laughed humorlessly. "It's my home. I was bound to go back." I looked at his eyes. "You seem like you don't want to go back." I said. "Your right."

"I am?" I was a bit surprised, I didn't expect to be right. "If I go back home, I feel like I won't have enough time with you. I feel like we're so close." He explained. "So close to what?" I whispered.

"To being in love."

He turned to look at me. Our faces were inches apart, making my face go red.

"Let me take you out tonight." He pulled me down the sidewalk. "Why?" "Because I love you," He responded nonchalantly. I felt my heart beat rapidly from those three words. "Zayn, I thought we were taking it slow." I reminded him. "Just one date, please." He begged. I nodded. How could I say no?

"Where are we going?" I asked. "I want to take you to one of my favorite places I've found while running."

***

"Are we there yet? My feet are killing me." I whined as we continued to walk down a dirt road. "Almost there. Want a piggy back ride?" Zayn suggested, giving me a cheeky grin. "Um, no I'm good." I hesitated, walking in front of him.

Zayn, being his stubborn self, threw me over his shoulder.

"Not again." I groaned. I tired to keep my head up. "It's better than walking on sore feet," Zayn pointed out. "Yeah, yeah." I shrugged.

After what seemed like an eternity,  we finally got to our destination. "It's beautiful,  isn't it?" Zayn said in awe.

The sight seemed plain, but I could tell it meant something to him. There weren't any waterfalls or rivers, just tall grass and a dirt path. The sun was setting right in the middle of the dirt road and little by little the sun fell down.

"Well, we should get going." I said, dusting off my jeans. "Wait, the night's still young." he said. At the same time, fireflies lit up the dark surface.

"I've been wanting to take you here for a while now." Zayn said quietly. "I have a proposition." He added. "Will you dance with me?" "But there's no music." I lightly laughed. "Just dance to the beat of our hearts." He smiled, winking at me simultaneously.

Zayn's hands settled onto my waist while my arms were around his neck. We swayed slowly, my head against his chest and his heart beating erratically in my ear. "Your nervous." I pointed out. He took a deep breath. "Yeah," He said softly. "I don't want this moment to end." I smiled at those words, because I didn't want this to end either.

At that moment,  I felt delirious. It's us against the world. Just how it used to be.

(A/N) gosh darn it, I wanted this to be longer btut I felt like it should have ended there. Anyyywaaaayyyys, its been a while huh? I

was thinking about having a bonus chapter (something like that) to know how they became "It's us against the world" Opinions?

Thank you guys for your feedback! Btw, I'm doing more dedications! I love you guys so much, you keep me going. c: xx