The Boy : The Nerd

Joy had been staring at the nerd for almost 10 minutes now. She can't get a good view of him. All that she sees was is the back of his hair and how tall he is compare to the other boys since her place is two rows back from his.

* The heck with this nerd. How dare he humiliate me in front if the class like that. * * Did he had some grudge on me ? As far as I know, this is the first time that we ever talk. * " Joy, you've been staring at him for quite sometime you know. " " He start it. He sure got a gut for a nerd. " " His name is Sungjae. " " Whatever. "

The bells ring indicates the recess time. Joy purposely waiting for the rest of her classmates to go out first leaving Sungjae and her inside the class. She saw that Sungjae is busy packing his book so she quickly walked towards him.

She cleared her throat causing him to look at her. He was surprised at first but then he shrugged it off. " Is there anything that you want. " He asks her. Joy didn't answer him and just looking at his features. She close the gap between him and her but leaving few centimetres gap from her face and him which obviously making him flustered.

From her view, she saw that Sungjae is quite a handsome guy but it was hidden from that big nerdy spectacle that he have on. He really need to work on his hairstyle. That 5:5 hair parting is a no-no she thought in her mind. Aside from that he got a plump lips which Joy think is sexy. * Too bad that he is a nerd. *.

" So .. " Joy back off slowly which really saved Sungjae from having a heart attack. " Do you have a problem with me ? " Sungjae quickly shook his head quite afraid with whatever that she will do. " So why didn't you help me just now ? " " I was afraid that Mrs Kim will mad at me. " He answer innocently while adjusting his glasses. " I'm sorry. " He added trying to avoid any eye contact with Joy. " I'll help you next time. "

Joy almost laugh at his words but she trying hard to hold it. " I'm quite mad at you actually. " He gulped after heard that. " You just humiliated me in front of the class. " " I don't mean to. " He blurted softly but not that Joy couldn't heard it. * What trouble had I gone into. * " I'm thinking of giving you some punishment .. Yy.. Yook Sungjae. " She said while reading his name through his name tag. He heaved a sigh. * The last thing that I want is to get involved with this devil. *

" W-what do you want Joy-sshi. " " Finish my homework. " " What ? I mean .. I've got mine and I need to read books after that and .. " " You are a genius in this class. Don't tell me that you can't do that .. for me ? " Joy bent her body down while making her puppy eyes which easily makes Sungjae to blush but he quickly look away. " I'll try. " " Good. Here, take this. And don't worry this will be our last encounter .. if you don't pissed me off again. " She patted his hair and leaved him sighed by himself.

Joy felt great after that. She now can happily enjoying her recess. " Hey, why are you late ? " Ask Irene who's looking at her worriedly. " Just settled some things with a nerd. " That just cause the girls to laugh at her. " Why ? Did some nerd confessing again ? " Seulgi asks while munching her food. " Not really. He just pissed me off so I force him to do my homework. " They just nodded while Joy continue to explain, " FYI. He's the reason for me not able to skip class just now. " That caught the girls attention.

" He sure got a gut Joy. " " I know right ? But then when i go and face him. He is just another typical nerd who's afraid of causing trouble with me. " They laughed again but immediately stops when Joy said something that never came out from her mouth before. " But, you know what ? He is quite handsome if you look closely. " Yeri spitted some of her drink when she heard that. " Unnie ! Jaebal. A nerd and handsome cannot be together. " " But he really is .. what his name again. Ahh, Sungjae. Have you seen him before ? He's in my class. " They just shook their head thinking that maybe Joy is out of her mind.

Joy never had compliment any guy in her life. It's always guys who gives compliments to her so they feel weird when Joy did so and some more towards a nerd. " Are you saying that you are attracted to a nerd guy Joy ? " Wendy squint her eyes while looking at Joy. " Of course not. Let's drop the topic now. "

_______________________

" Mom. I'm home. " " Sungjae, how's school ? " " Errm, great. I guess. I'll just head to the room. " " Alright, go have your shower. I'm preparing your lunch. " He just nodded.

While in the shower, " I feel tired today. Must be because of that girl. " He slapped his face lightly, " What am I thinking just now. I should have just give her the answer. Now I need to do her homework. Hope she didn't bother me after this. " " Yah Yook Sungjae. Hurry up! I'm hungry. We are waiting for you. " He heard his sister calling while knocking the door. " Alright. 5 minutes. "

Sungjae is not a rich boy like most of his classmates. He came from a modest family. His father own a small restaurant not far from his house while his mom just helping out his father when he needs one. He have a sister who's right now still studying in the university. Both of them are genius but his sister is not a nerd like him. " Sungjae, can you help me in the shop after this. Eunkwang having some emergency so we short one staff today. " He just nodded upon his father request feeling heavy since he still didn't do his and Joy's homework.

He knew that he will have to help his father until maybe 9 or 10 at night so he is not sure whether he able to finish their homework or not.

________________________

" I want one tteobokki set with one plate of kimchi fried rice. " " Anything else sir ? " " That would be all. Thank you. " He walked towards the kitchen, " Here's the order dad. " " Thanks Sungjae. I don't think there will be more customer coming. You can go back home now. " " No. I'll go back after we close the shop. " " Don't you have any homework to do ? " " I do. But I can manage. " " That's my boy. I'm really glad I got a good son like you. "

His father drove them to home after closed the shop. While on their way, " You have abou 2 years to finish school. What will you do after that ? " " Well I'm thinking of applying in the Seoul University for architecture. " " You know son, you shouldn't force yourself too much on studies. Sometimes you should have fun. All that I can see is you with your books. I know it's good for your future but I don't want you to get stress because of it. " " Don't worry dad. I can take care of myself. Besides, I've got a very supportive family. There's no way I'm going to be stress. " His dad patted his hair feeling proud for having him as his son.

" There's no way that I can do my revisions tonight. " He uttered with his eyes staring at Joy's book. After all these years, this is his first time doing other people's homework. Since he got a cold features and he was a pet student, not many people bother to ask him a favour. Well, to the fact that most of his classmates don't have any trouble doing their own job so thats why. So when Joy asks him to do it, he was flustered and he felt like a burden since she already ruined his daily studies routine.

" I'll do this quickly so that I can have a good nap. " He one of the genius in class so it's not a surprise that he can finish the work in short time. Once finish, he close the book. His eyes caught the name at the cover of the book, " Park Sooyoung. " " But she loves people calling her Joy. Her real name is better. " He put his thought away and start to pack his stuff for tomorrow. He didn't forget to put along Joy's book in his back since he don't want any other trouble with her.

Once he is done, he reach out the window to close it but it stops half way when his eyes caught a view on front of him. There's a girl who's living opposite to his house, who is right now having her time listening to the music while closing her eyes. That girl is Soohyun, his neighbour and childhood friend.

He was so into at his thought that he didn't realised the girl already waving her hand at him. " Sungjae-ah. " She called which bring him out of his trance. " Hi Soohyun. " He waved to her with a big smile.