Chapter 2

I didn't see Mark again in the week that followed his visit. It's not like I minded, on the contrary, it probably meant he was smart enough to stay away from the snake I had for a stepsister.

"Oh Mark, how nice to see you!" I heard my stepmother shout excitedly from downstairs. Guess I'd spoken too soon. I mentally facepalmed for him. What in the world was he doing here?

"It's nice to see you too." I heard him reply. In that instant, you could say I was eavesdropping, by the looks of it. Well, not really, I was in my own house, after all.

"Seulki went out for a bit, but you can wait for her here. I'll tell her you're here." The evil queen said. I was sure she was giving him a sickening fake smile like her daughter.

"I don't want to bother y-"

"You're absolutely not bothering, come in and make yourself at home. I'll have to leave you alone for a bit, though, I'm going out to buy food."

Okay, Mark was going to be without Seulki in my house. Why did that happen to me? Not only was he back, which proved to me he didn't actually know his girlfriend's true colors, but if he talked to me he would most likely look at me with too much compassion and I didn't want that. But still, maybe I could talk some sense into that boy.

Once I heard the front door slam shut and the car engine start, I rushed downstairs to find Mark sitting on the couch awkwardly.

"What the fuck are you doing here? I thought you didn't want to see Seulki anymore?" I exclaimed, scaring the life out of him in the process.

"I didn't come for her!" He looked at me with wide eyes while holding his chest.

"Sweet baby Jesus, then what are you here for? You know what, don't answer. I'm going up, please don't bother me." I pinched the bridge of my nose, closing my eyes. This situation was too fucked up for me to comprehend.

As I neared my bedroom, my arm was grabbed.

"What do you want?" I asked Mark with a sigh.

"Did she bother you this week?" He replied with a question, getting me even more confused than I already was.

"Same old thing, but why are you even interested in that?" I gave in to myself. I didn't want to talk to him but I needed answers.

"She doesn't treat you fairly. You're too much of a good person to let yourself be given orders like that." We were now standing in front of my room and, as I predicted, he looked at me with compassionate eyes.

"How would you know? You don't even know me personally."

"Touché." As he said that, the front door opened and in came the viper.

"Mark-oppa!~" Seulki yelled, and I started to panick.

"Shit, get downstairs and make up some lies like you were looking for the bathroom or something! If she knows we're talking, we'll both be dead!" I whisperyelled, watching terror settle into his brown eyes.

"Okay, but take this. Text me if she's giving you a hard time, I'll distract her so she gets off your back." I couldn't reply to that, but took the piece of paper out of his hand.

I looked as he started walking down the stairs uneasily.

"I'm here! I was uh... Looking for the bathroom."

"Aww pabo, you should've waited for me. You could've bumped into Sweet Cinderella." She purred. So that was her attempt at humour. If anything, Cinderella was the one having the princess life in the end, so she could've kept her mouth shut.

"I didn't know she was there." He told her. The dude was smart, I had to admit. He knew what to tell her.

"Good, that means she knows not to get herself noticed. C'mon, oppa, let's go to my room!" That was the cue to enter my room and lock it. Disgust washed over me as I remembered that very loud conversation Seulki had with her friend on the phone a few days ago, she said she'd do everything to sleep with Mark. Deep down in my heart I prayed it wouldn't be the case, my ears didn't need to hear that.

Fortunately, nothing of that nature seemed to happen in Seulki's room. There was nothing but overly loud and fake giggles from her.

When Mark left, I was carrying a basket of clean laundry upstairs. He looked at me and gave me a nod before leaving without a word.

Should I really text him if Seulki was to bother me? Who did he think he was? My handsome knight in shining armour? Well, he was handsome, that's for sure.

That evening, as I lay in bed looking up at the ceiling, I slipped my hand into my pocket, grabbing the crippled piece of paper Mark had given me. I spent what felt like hours looking at it but in reality, only a few minutes passed.

My mind was racing over the reasons why he gave me his number. He said it was so I could warn him about Seulki being a bitch to me, which he would try to stop by distracting her by sending her a text or calling her. In a way, I felt thankful, but it seemed like he was doing that out of pity. If there's one thing I hate, it's pity.

Sighing, I grabbed my phone and opened the contact list. I kept it simple and saved his number under the name 'Mark'. Now, wether or not I would actually text him was entirely up to me and me alone.

"(Y/N), you need to do the dishes and get my clothes out of the washing machine. I really don't want to do it. For once stop being so useless." Seulki walked in as fast as she walked out. It's funny how she said she didn't want to do her chores, because it's not like she doesn't have a choice. My father's little princess was too precious to get her hands dirty. And with that, I sent Mark my first text.

"Mayday."