Chapter 11

When I was eleven, my father got remarried and I immediatly noticed a difference in his behavior. Seulki was nine years old, my father would play favorites, he would put her on a pedestal and he would ignore me. When we moved in as a family, Seulki started bullying me. She would break my toys, she would tell me I didn't belong in that house and that my father didn't love me. She forced me to do her chores, to clean her room and clothes. If I didn't, I would be threatened. She belittled me, told me I was worthless. And it went on until I left the house.

I breathed out, looked up and started emptying my bag. After a few seconds, I sighed and looked at Mark's hand on my thigh. It gave me the strength to continue. I felt a lump in my throat.

"Her bullying got so severe at one point that I started feeling like everyone would be better off without me. When I was twenty, she verbally pushed me to step in front of a train. I almost did." I finished, the officer was looking at me and Mark was looking down at his lap.

"So as an adult, she would still bully you, is that correct?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied. After having recomposed myself, I left the room and was allowed to go home.

I didn't say anything to Mark and he didn't try to ask me anything. When we were home, he grabbed my hand and pulled me close to him.

"You're even stronger than I thought." He said and I let myself go, and cried.

"Hey now, you're not going to let go. You'll stay strong, alright?" He added and just seeing his hopeful eyes made me nod. I had to stay strong, there was no reason for me to stop being strong. I only felt vulnerable, I felt transparent. I felt like I had nothing to hide anymore.

Without noticing, I had stared at Mark for a few seconds until I heard the front door open and I instinctively stepped away from him.

"Noona." BamBam entered, followed by Jaebum and Jinyoung. I was pulled in a hug, and it caught me off guard.

"Is everything alright?" Jaebum asked.

"Yeah, there will be a trial in a few months." I said and gave a very small smile. From that moment on, I wanted to stop thinking about this and to just live my life and work hard.

~

In the evening, as I prepared dinner, I noticed how quiet Mark and Jackson were. Surprisingly, those two didn't talk much at all. It was always very quiet in the apartment.

"Dinner's ready." I said and they literally jumped up from the couch to the table.

"Well that was fast." I noted and sat down at the table as well.

"We're not on a diet so we can eat as much as we want." Jackson smiled at started eating. Mark put a spoonful of rice in his mouth.

"Your food's as good as my mom's." Jackson said and I laughed.

"I doubt it but thank you." I smiled at him. Dinner went smoothly, we talked a little bit but were mostly quiet. It wasn't an awkward silence.

"Here, eat this." Mark took a piece of meat between his chopsticks and brought it up to my mouth. I blushed a little but bit the piece of meat. I returned the favor by giving him a piece of meat as well.

"Do you want me to leave you two alone?" Jackson asked.

"Jackson!" Mark and I both exclaimed and one thing I didn't notice was that Mark's ears had become red.

~

I was lying down on my bed with my laptop on my lap. It was 11 in the evening and it would be better if I went to sleep. Before I could close my laptop, I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I said and Mark entered the room. He was wearing sweat pants and a hoodie.

"How are you?" He asked and sat down on my bed.

"I'm fine, it's a bit hard to sleep because it hurts but I'll be alright." I replied, closed my laptop and set it down next to my bed.

"You know, I'm really glad you're out of this mess. Even if you still got hurt." He said and I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

"I would still be back there without you. I owe you a lot." I was truly thankful for what he had done for me. I was hurt, but for the last time.

"I owe you a lot as well." He said and took my hand. I was confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked but he didn't reply. Instead he put his hand on my cheek and leaned in. My breath got stuck in my throat and I braced myself for what was going to happen. But then... Mark stopped moving and he just looked at the bruise on the side of my face. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time. Mark backed away, not even noticing my crimson red cheeks.

"It's less swollen. It doesn't take as long to heal as I thought it would. That's great." He said and I looked down.

"Yeah it is. It still hurts a bit though." I sighed.

"Did you take painkillers? I'll go get them." He stood up and left the room for a bit before coming back with a pill and a glass of water.

"Thank you." I said and he sat back down on the bed. He watched me in silence as I swallowed the pill and some water. I placed the glass on the bedside table and let out a breath.

"Do you want to come back to work tomorrow?" Mark asked and I nodded. I didn't want this injury to stop me from doing what I loved.

"I'll leave as early as you do. I don't..." I started and debated wether I should say it or not. "I don't want to be alone." I stated and Mark's eyes softened.

"You won't be alone anymore." He said and then... He kissed my forehead. After that he stood up and went to leave the room. He stopped before he opened the the door and looked at me.

"Goodnight (Y/N)."

"Goodnight Mark."

◇◇◇◇

A/N: I was supposed to update yesterday, but I had family issues. Thank you for reading, see you at the next update!