Chapter 40

My father and I were sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea in front of each of us. It was silent at first, but then, my he spoke up.

"I never realized what was going on with you and Seulki. Or maybe I did, but I refused to actually see it. After your mother and I divorced, I wanted you to have a family, like we used to. I didn't know it was hurting you to see me consider that girl as my own daughter." He said with a sigh and I bit my lip. He didn't understand that his considering Seulki as his own daughter was not what initially hurt me, it was his favoritism.

"Actually, the most painful thing in all this situation was the fact that you seemed to care more about her than you did about me. I am your daughter, not her, and she has a father of her own. Every time she bullied me, every time she hurt me, you were siding with her. Even that time where she almost pushed me in front of a train, you said I was exaggerating and that I needed to treat my sister well." I explained, and immediately saw his eyes widen then fill with guilt. I needed to be honest, I needed him to know what had gone wrong, what I found unfair. 

"I..." He started but I cut him off.

"I never saw her as my sister. Not even once did I think we could be an actual family. Do you realize both of your actual daughters had to almost be killed for you to realize somthing was actually wrong with those people? Seulki tried to kill me several times and she tried to shoot Daeun. Had you realized earlier that our so called family was fucked up, none of this would have happened." My eyes started prickling, so did his. I heard him sniffle, I thought that maybe I was a bit too brutal, but I thought it was the best thing to do. After all, he was still my father, and I kind of wanted things to get better between us. However, nothing could get better if I stayed silent about this situation and just let it slide. I thought that he needed to prove that he still actually cared about me, like I actually cared about him, otherwise I wouldn't have been sitting at this table in that precise moment. 

"I have nothing to say except that I'm terribly sorry. Nothing I could say would change any of this. I never stopped caring about you, I never preferred Seulki over you, I just thought that she needed a bit more attention because she was younger, I really meant well. I didn't want you to get hurt." He choked out, and wrapped both of his hands on his cup while looking down at it and trying to keep tears from pouring out. I wanted to cry as well, and my own tears were threatening to fall. 

"You should have shown it to me, instead of shutting me out like you always did and keeping silent whenever something happened." I said and bit down at my lower lip. Oh how I wished that Mark was with me in that moment, he would've made it all more bearable for me. 

"I know now. What could I do for you to forgive me?" He asked and looked up at me with tearful eyes. I let out a small sigh.

"I don't think what you need is to do anything for me to forgive you. What I think you need to do is prove yourself as a father to me again." I explained, and wiped a small tear that had fallen out of my eye. 

"How?" 

"With time. I won't give up on you if you show me you haven't given up on me." I said, he seemed to have some motivation knocked into him as the words left my mouth.

"I promise I will show you! I promise!" He exclaimed, that made me smile a bit. 

"Well, I should head back home. I'm glad we had this talk, I feel somewhat lighter now." I said, standing up, and my father nodded, standing up as well. I started leaving but he called my name, making me turn around.

"You're my daughter, and whatever you think, I love you." He said and I gave a small nod. 

"I can't say it back just yet. At least I'm happy to hear that after such a long time." I told him, and I then said goodbye and left the house, feeling much better than I did before I came. 

 ~

I decided to stop by the JYPE building to see the guys before going home, and I even had some snacks for them. Judging by the hour and their usual practice routine, they were most likely rehearsing some choreographies for the upcoming concert. I was right, as I heard music while I was approaching the door of the practice room. I walked in silently to not disturb them, and went to stand in a corner for them to finish. When they were done, they were panting heavily. 

"Take a break and come have some snacks!" I said, and they all came excitedly to pick something to eat and drink. 

"What were you doing all morning?" Mark asked me and pulled me close to him to place a kiss on my cheek.

"I went to see my father." I smiled slightly as he raised his eyebrows. 

"What? Why?" He sounded very curious, and surprised. 

"I told you I need to clear some stuff up." I kissed his cheek too, and went to sit down next to Yugyeom. 

"Will you watch the concert or do you have to work?" The youngest one asked me and brought his bottle of water to his lips. 

"I'll do both, since I have to film you." I replied with a grin, and Mark forced himself between Yugyeom and me. He then wrapped an arm around my neck. "Aren't you clingy today." I added and shook my head while a smile was still tugging at my lips.

"You just wait for our few days off after the concert, I'm pretty sure you'll grow tired of me." He laughed and ruffled my hair. One thing was sure, I wouldn't grow tired of him at all.

◇◇◇◇

A/N: This fanfic will be over very soon. In a chapter or two, it will officially be over. Thank you for reading, everyone, love you!