Chapter 3 - A New Interest

The weeks went by sinfully slow for James, Monday till Saturday each minute felt like an hour. James poured his frustration out into his seminary studies, his long lecture hall meetings and countless hours in heavy prayer meditation. He tried hard begging for forgiveness in silence, he would sit down in the bathtub, focusing on nothing but the frigid cold water hitting his back until he was completely numb. He wanted to feel nothing, he tried to go back to those earlier times where Elizabeth never existed to him. He feared the inevitable, the great risk he posed against her, against God and against the community.

But why on earth could he still not shake her from his thoughts, from his heart and from his eagerly hungry carnal desires?

"Have you remembered to eat?" Albert insisted placing a plate on the table sprawled with books and notes by James' side as he scribbled down and highlighted verses. 

"No," James pressed his lips together, his eyes skimming a text as quickly as he could before jotting down more more notes. His only hope to block out the voices of his demons was to continue to read, pray and punish himself; however it was all becoming completely futile. He would soon learn that no matter how much he tried to forget her, it would be impossible to erase those magnificent eyes from his mind.  

"Eat something.." Albert said softly halfway leaving the tiny kitchen with his own plate, "before you pass out on the table again,"

James did not respond or look at his partner, Albert sat on the couch to eat his sandwich glancing every now and then to his roommate hunched over the kitchen table flipping through text after text completely wrapped up into his readings. Worry was causing Albert's face to scrunch up, but it softened when he saw James take a bite of food. Albert closed his eyes in relief and sighed softly to himself, as he exhaled a smile crept up on his face. 

Albert knew something had changed in his friend but he couldn't quite put his finger on it, the only thing he could do was observe him from afar and hope that one day, he could see James smiling... towards him.

It was Sunday again, James stood on the steps of the church peering over all those who gathered out in front, greeting the members he had known for years with a friendly smile. However, his guilt was eating away at him slowly, behind his humble smile no one would ever guess the dark twisted alter ego he kept hidden within.

"Good morning Jules," James nodded at the pretty brunette, she wore her hair up this time and even painted her lips a slight shimmery pink.

"Good morning, sitting with Albert again today?" Juliet shrugged expecting it to be the same as the Sunday prior. But to her surprise his answer was different.

"No, Albert stayed home. It seems he caught a bug at seminary." James eyes continued to roll over the members that entered the Church doors until they finally caught Juliet's, he frowned in confusion towards her excited expression. The young girl couldn't help but beam him a large and hopeful Cheshire cat grin.

"Sit with me then?" she cocked her head to the side to which James responded back with a low "Ok." But before they could enter to find a row, Juliet's brother came and wrapped his arm around his older sisters shoulders.

"Where we sitting sis?" he chuckled, completely ruining the warm and calm mood between his sister and her intended. Her heart sank, she had forgotten that her brother was tagging a long with her this time, he usually sleeps in but the night before he barely slept from all the Energy Drinks he had on his night out.

"Oh hey Zach, how've you been" James stepped away from the siblings but continued to walk further into the church with both. "Haven't seen you in a while," he continued to make small talk but remained attentive to his surroundings in case he spotted his temptress.