Chapter 6 - Ceremony

The pews of the church were completely filled out, some people where left to stand at the back walls. The day was a joyful day in which the young men who had finished seminary and rightfully prepared for their ordination would now come together to accept their vows to God and the priesthood. Photographers and videographers used up the aisles to the left and right, documenting the events for the church.

Friends and family of all the young men gathered in prayer and song as they watched their loved ones walk down the isle in their white garments. Elizabeth sat with her Uncle, across the aisle a smiling Zach stole glances of her as she sung the hymns. His sister, Juliet bowed her head in humility and reverence. Yet deep inside, her heart was shattered. She came to the ceremony to give her mind some type of closure. But being here among happy families, wishing the men a joyous adventure in serving the Church, she was the only one who felt as though she was in a funeral.

James walked down the aisle, looking as gallant as ever as he held his hands in a prayers pose. Although he had been reluctant and deviated off the path that God had laid out for him, he was committed to seeing this day through to the end. Albert, watched as his closet friend received the hands of the head bishop upon his head, tears of happiness built in his eyes. He felt consumed with the presence of God, Finally...he made it. All his hard work... Albert was overly proud of James, if it were allowed he would have gone up and hugged him tightly. Probably swung his body around with the help of the adrenaline rushing through his veins. But he kept himself composed and graceful. One day, I'll be there up as well... we'll serve together.

Already Albert felt the loss of his friend, from this day forward they could no longer share an apartment together. James would be moving into a dorm of priests assigned by the clergy, but luckily he would be servicing in the same parish and church that he had known since childhood. It meant the world to him to be able to stay close to him.

As the ceremony came to a close, and James walked outside the chapel with his fellow graduates, the short vivid memory of the first time he laid eyes on Elizabeth past through his mind. He pictured her again, her hair swinging as she played volley ball, the softness of her hand when they first touched. He chuckled under his breathe to himself, savoring that moment. A cunning grin appeared on his face.

I will have everything.

His first week servicing the church went as he expected, busy, hectic and over all he could hardly sleep in his the new housing he was placed in. But James didn't mind it, he welcomed his new life. It gave him less time to think about Elizabeth, he was still mentally attempting to block her out of his conscience as much as possible especially when around the other priests and members. Albert was able to find a new roommate easily, but he missed James' presence. Sundays at church with James on the alter were a little surreal, the older members that had watched him grow up felt a sense of proudness at the young boy who had given up his youth, charm and life to serve the less fortunate.

James did an array of services from bright early mornings to evenings on several days and majorly on Sundays when it was the busiest. Although he gave off this odd aura of coldness to the new comers, many just took it as his sincere dedication to remaining as reverent as possible in the house of the Lord. Rarely did he smile or say anything to his members aside from his greetings and departing.

One frigid cold evening, James walked into his prior seminary school to meet with several students who were entering their second half of their last semester for an evening discussion and group prayer. Among his small audience was Albert. As James begun to speak and hold his discussion, Albert couldn't help but notice the same chilliness his friend harbored in his eyes, in his gestures and in his limp lips as he forced himself to smile a few times in a row to give ease to the young men in the permanent role they were about to take. The smile was unnatural and if anything gave Albert an eerie feeling in the pit of his stomach. This isn't like him, something is wrong.

At the end of the prayer, James quickly turned to leave but Albert rushed past the other men and took hold of Jame's black sleeve.

"Hey.." the young man was worried, a sickening sensation was curdling in his throat. James' lifeless eyes turned and caught Albert's.

"Albert.." his dry voice spoke. It was as if James was slowly dying internally, but only Albert was aware of it. " You've come so far," he attempted to smile but could not, instead the blond priest dropped his gaze to the floor. The other men walked around them and existed the mini chapel. Silence surrounded the two.

"How's...the housing situation working out for you?" Albert asked, hoping James would raise his face but he did not.

"I don't mind it much. It's always quiet there." James moved his eyes to the door. " How's your new roommate?"

Albert missed James. He wanted to spit it out and admit it while wrapping his arms around his broad shoulder. Of course, he composed himself from the fantasy.

"I hardly see him, his parents pay his rent but he barely comes by. He works at the recording studio in the local college so I assume he stays there a lot" Albert shrugged, " But he's nice, just keeps to himself..."

James released a short laugh through his nose, " I see."

The silence again consumed them again, James straightened up and proceeded towards the door. " I'll catch you later then Albert, it was good talking with you again." He spoke curtly and closed the door behind him, not allowing Albert the time to say his farewell. The young man stood still, clenching his hands in frustration.

Dammit...why can't you just talk to me? Like we used to....