Chapter 23 - Abduction

The summer left as quickly as it came.

Much to Rohan's pleased surprise, no one came banging on his door. His brothers calls stopped and Elizabeth seemed happier than ever before.

The cool brisk winds of September swept through the town, the sun was beginning to set earlier as the days grew shorter.

Zach had everything packed for college, he was exited to go and start this new phase of life. But at the same time his heart pulsed rapidly at the idea that he was leaving behind Elizabeth.

He told himself as much as he told her that he would make the 2 hour drive back often as possible to see her granted he was not bombarded with school work and tests.

Zach was thinking about becoming a veterinarian, but it would require a lot of studying and hours in a lab. He knew however, that he could pull it off if he tried hard enough.

It was early morning and he was filling up his Jeep with his suitcases. His mother and father were going to drive up and help him set up his room.

He checked the time on his phone, 7:15am, Elizabeth should be arriving soon. She promised to accompany him on the drive while his parents took their other car.

The night before, the young couple took a walk by the lake, walking into the water up to their knees Zach held Elizabeth's face in his hands reminding her how much he loved her.

How much he would miss her.

Re-assuring her that everything will work out.

"I promise." he had whispered as he kissed her.

Her lovely smile sparkling in the moonlight back at him, "I'm not worried silly," she had giggled.

For a reason he could not shake off, Zach had been more nervous these last couple of days as his departure grew closer.

But Elizabeth was confident in herself and in him.

"She should be arriving any minute. " Zach mentioned to his mother as he closed up his trunk.

However, little did he know that Elizabeth would not make it in time.

In fact, she never made it home the night after their walk.

"Go to bed or you'll sleep in tomorrow," Zach joked as he dropped her off in front of her uncles large house.

"Goodnight," she kissed him and hopped off the passenger side. Before pulling out of the sidewalk the last thing he saw was her waving at him as he made a turn at the corner.

Elizabeth walked up to the house, they had stayed out too late and she tip toed up the long driveway.

Something startled her as she noticed the thick bushes lining the side of the driveway begin to shake. Her eyes darted to the bush but then it suddenly stopped moving.

Must be a racoon.

She paid it no mind and continued to walk for a minor second until she heard footsteps approach her, they were fast.

Too fast.

She did not have time to think or turn around and see who was behind her before her mouth was covered by a cold hand stopping her startled scream. Something hard hit her in the back of the head and the last thing she remember was the low pitched chuckle of a man.

"Zach, it's 7:45 we need to get going." Zach's father climbed into the driver side.

Zach pulled out his phone and began calling her again, could she really have slept in?

It went straight to voicemail once again.

The boy sighed heavily, I guess we shouldn't have stayed out that late.

He ran his hand through his hair, anxiousness was spreading throughout his body. Something didn't feel right.

"Sweetie, I'm sure she meant to come but you did come back at 2am last night. I bet you she's still fast asleep." his mother placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah..," he said hanging his head in  defeat.

"When we come back I'll call her uncle. Maybe she can come see you the following weekend after you're all settled." She climbed into the car with her husband.

Zach had no choice but to begin the long lonely drive. As he sat in the driver side he sent Elizabeth a message.

Gotta drive now, call me as soon as you wake up. I miss you so much already. Just wanna make sure you're ok. I love you. Talk 2 you soon babe.

His eyes glanced over to the empty passenger seat, his heart felt heavy. Zach closed his eyes hard and bit his lip, wishing and praying that once he opened them she would be there; she would be were he could see her.

Next to him and safe.

But Elizabeth was nowhere safe.

She was inside the belly of the beast.

And in there, she had no escape.

No one could save her.