Chapter 32 - Falling Apart

"And what the hell am I supposed to do with her while I wait there?" Albert asked, his hands nervously scratched his scalp. He had just loaded a knocked out Elizabeth into the backseat of his car.

James made sure to cover her with a blanket, the nights were getting a lot colder.

"Keep her there, safe and hidden. Make sure she eats well and stays quiet."

He loaded up the trunk with minor essentials, her clothes and a few books she was still in the process of finishing. Inside a cardboard box however, he pulled out a long metal chain.

"She is to wear this at all times, you hear me? You'll need to hook the end of the chain to the wall." James narrowed his eyes at Albert, "She may try to run off when your back is turned. I can't take that chance. Do you understand?"

Albert looked at the chain in his hands, a small sparkle of pity for the girl bloomed in his heart yet he nodded at the instructions.

"Always keep her chained, got it."

"Good," James smiled at him, "I should finish with my affairs here soon, hopefully everything dies down faster than I can expect."

"What will you tell the dioceses?"

Albert had pondered this for some time, he knew James would ultimately have to request a leave of absence or quit the priesthood and it was the one thing in the world he always fought for.

It was his calling. And now he was abandoning it.

All for this....girl.

Albert's gut wrenched at the thought, no he's doing this for us too. She's just a toy to him.

"I've thought about it, and ....I'll probably say something along the lines of taking over my father's company until they find the right successor." James pushed back his blond hair, if he had any regrets at all it would  be this.

But he knew it was necessary, and maybe perhaps after some time he could become a minister or pastor at another local church.

"It'll get better right?" Albert placed a hand on his lovers' shoulders.

James nodded at him, "Yes." he pulled out an envelop from his jacket. "Take this , inside is a list of all the foods Elizabeth can eat. If it is not on the list then she is not allowed, but obviously buy anything you'd like for yourself. Buy anything else appropriate, furniture, sheets, soap...."

Albert took the envelop and opened it noticing how stuffed it was with one hundred dollar bills. His eyes widened in surprise, "How did you get all this money?!"

James rubbed his temple, "It's my fathers, just don't worry about it he has plenty. Buy whatever you need. There's enough there for utilities and gas."

Albert pocketed the envelop then hugged James.

The priest was not expecting the embrace, his arms hung to his side for a few seconds before registering the action and slowly wrapped around Albert as well.

"Come as soon as you can," Albert's words were pleading.

"Yes." James' heart felt heavy, he did not like the idea of Elizabeth being too far away from him, nonetheless he knew it was the only way. "We'll do calls every Thursday. If there is an emergency though, reach me by any means."

Albert pulled himself off, kissing James for a quick second before getting into the car.

But James tapped onto the windshield.