Chapter 20 - Unexpected Visit

"Father Beckford...." one of the choir boys came knocking on the chapel office doors after Sunday service.

"Yes,"

"Sir, you have some visitors."

James frowned and stood from his chair. "Very well, come in." His eyes widened when he saw both his mother and father step inside.

His mother has blond white hair wrapped tightly into a high bun, her lipstick was brighter in contrast to her pale skin. She stretched him a melancholy smile.

Yet his father's expression had not changed from the day he told hold him his plans to become a priest. The only thing about his father that had changed was his hair, the blackness had faded into grey.

"Darling...how are you," His mother approached her son,although James was hesitant he reluctantly opened his arms and embraced her taking in her scent, the same smell of designer perfume filled his nose, the same as many years before.

Over her shoulder his eyes met his fathers, the same serious stern look was glaring back at him.

"Pardon my forwardness but what are you both doing here?" James frowned. They had not even been there for his ordination ceremony, what business would they have now. He noticed his father carrying his briefcase as usual.

"We need you to sign something," his father blurted our rather nonchalantly.

"Oh I see. So this isn't a social visit. " James kept his polite smile on his face. "Very well father, whatever you need from me,"

Honor thy Father and Mother....

"James," his mother touched his cheek with her soft silk-like hands. "We wanted so much to be at your ceremony..."

Their son shook his head, tucking his hands into his pockets. "It's alright, I know you must have been busy."

His father approached his wife and son's little circle, "Yes. We were absolutely busy. Now that the company is going to belong to someone else, all the training we have to provide. All these new legal documents we have to fill out handing over the family business to someone who wants it." he sneered.

James kept his composed smile. "I am happy for you father. I remember before you were unsure of who you wanted to leave the company to as  far as a successor."

Each word he drew from his mouth was like a wound to his fathers heart.

"I am happy you finally found someone fit for the position."

"Tch...."

His mother placed a gentle hand on her husband's shoulder. "Calm down," she whispered to him before changing her expression for warmer one.

"It is true that we have a successor, although it wasn't easy, " she chuckled, "Your father and I have come mainly to see you and how well you're adjusting to your new life."

James could hear his mother but his gaze hadn't left the eyes of his father.

"Do you have plans for dinner tonight? We are in town and I was hoping," she looked to her husband for a second before meeting her sons. He was still not looking directly at her "We were hoping that you would join us for dinner at this cute Italian restaurant we saw on the drive here."

Finally, her son turned to look at her. His gentle smile didn't waver.

"Of course mother,"

She kissed her son on the cheek, leaving behind a red lipstick mark.

Across town Anne and Elizabeth walked the busy street looking into shops for prom dresses. They reached a vintage shop and went inside straight for the racks.