Chapter 41 - Letting Go

Zach stood outside the high school side doors from the gym. It was the week of Christmas break and the school was naturally closed except for the sports team who still came to practice.

Anne came out of the doors, her duffel bag around her shoulder alongside Brianne and Lily.

Immediately her laughs shut down when she met eyes with Zach.

Brianne seemed confused but Lily beamed at him, "Oh hey stranger! You're back again? Do you really miss being a senior all that much?" she laughed and approached him, opening her arms for a hug.

"Good to see you Lil," Zach held her, being close to Elizabeth's friends brought him a sense of security. They carried her with them in their hearts, therefore to him a part of her was not lost.

However, he noticed Brianne giving him the stink eye.

"Nice to see you too Bri," Zach muttered sarcastically.

"Brianne...my name's Brianne in case you've forgotten." she huffed, "Why are you even here? School's closed."

Zach tried to meet Anne's eyes but she looked away and fidgeted through her duffel bag for her car keys. Her anxiousness resulted in her dropping them to the ground a few times.

"I need to borrow Anne..." he explained to Brianne , "Can you come with me?"

Anne still wouldn't look at him, nonetheless she answered. "Can't. I'm giving them a ride."

But Zach wasn't going to give up. They had not spoken since the night she kissed him.

She had not answered his calls or his texts.

He wanted to talk, to have closure and give her closure. It would be devastating for him to lose her friendship after all he's been through. Part of him felt enormously guilty for leaning on Anne so much.

He wanted to apologize to her, maybe it wasn't fair for him to rely on her so much.

She has her own life, I'm being selfish dragging her alongside me in this seemingly never ending search for answers...I can't lose her though, I'll go insane.

But the other part of him wanted to find out...why the kiss?

"Can you meet me after you drop them off? I'll come to your house-"

Brianne cut him off, "She said no Zach, drop it." she snapped at him then took hold of Anne's arm and both girls walked over to Anne's car.

Lily looked back and forth puzzled at Brianne's extra sour mood. "Geez that was rude. Sorry Zach, I'll see you around." she hopped over to the rest and climbed into the small civic.

Instead of going into the driver's side though, Anne stopped herself from pulling the handle and looked back at Zach, finally meeting his eyes.

"Anne...don't." Brianna rarely showed her emotions, she was like a brick; cold and sturdy. But deep down she cared so much for her friends, and respected their volleyball leader the most. Her eyes showcased an overwhelming concern for Anne, it was a look that the blond teen had rarely seen in her brunette friend.

Anne gulped then smiled back to her, "I'm fine. Just give me a second."

She walked back over to Zach, both her friends watched from inside the car.

"Meet me at my house in 20."

****************

What have I done what have I done...? Elizabeth stared at the boarded up window with eyes wide open, barely blinking.