Chapter 52 - Beyond The Yard

"I'm sorry for calling you over here this late, and I know meeting like this is...not ideal," Victor looked into the eyes of Juliet's parents as he spoke.

Mr. Alexander held onto his wife who looked as though she might collapse at any second, her eyes already swelled with tears.

They were in the morgue.

It was cold and the fluorescent lights made their skin appear even more pale; pale and dead like the bodies that were cooled in the encasement.

"I need you to identify a body we found earlier today." Victor put as gently as he could. Before he could get another word out, the swinging doors burst open and Zach came at a running pace, embracing his parents.

"I drove here as soon as I read the text," He explained to Victor. The detective had wanted Zach to be informed but did not expect him to show up.

Victor flattened his lips and scratched the nape of his neck, "I don't think you should see this kid..."

"I'm 18 now, and if it's my sister in there..." he couldn't help say without choking on his words, Mr. Alexander placed a hand on his son's shoulder. "I need to see her," he managed to finish.

Zach's father nodded, giving Victor the approval to do so.

"Alright," he sighed and lead them into the room where a body was covered in a white sheet laying on top of a cold metal table.

"I must warn you..the shape the body is in well..."his eyes darted to each one of their dreaded faces preparing themselves for the worst possible outcome. Yet at the same time, Victor noticed the same helpless sparkle of hope twinkle in their eyes behind the glimmers of their tears. "...it may be hard to look at."

And with that Victor took hold of the sheet, counted to three in his head and lifted it over the deceased face down to her collar.

She was cleaned of course, they wouldn't present her dirty from the mud, bugs and left over pieces of ice in her hair in front of her family. But even still it was a horrible sight.

Much too horrible for Mrs. Alexander.

Her shrilled cry trembled Victor's core, he couldn't bare her cries as she lost her balance and nearly fell to the floor from despair. Her husband had to remain strong in order to pull through this tragedy but it seemed he was at his crumbling point as well.

The tears fell from his eyes in streams, splashing the black tiled floor in the room. Still he picked up his wife and turned her away from the body.

Zach had a mixture of devastation and rage in his eyes, the anger of whoever had committed this crime against his sister was so strong and over bearing that he felt his knuckles would crack if he kept clenching them so tightly.

Victor immediately covered up the body again, "My deepest condolences for your loss," he said softly, his words were lost in Mrs.Alexanders loud cries.

"Who did this?" Zach asked Victor, his brows were crossed and the adrenaline in his body was making his legs shake uncontrollably.

Victor pressed his lips together and shook his head, angering Zach even more, "We're going to find out all the answers. I swear it," he managed to say putting as much seriousness into his words as possible.

Zach approached Victor, and his dead sister laying on the table. His eyes shifted from the white sheet covering her face back to Victors grey eyes, "I want the person responsible to pay for this."

Victor absorbed the gravity of Zach's expression, it was cold and brutal.

"I want to be there when you make your arrest,"