Chapter 45 - A Proposal

"Rohan?Hello?"

A groggy and restless voice answered the phone, "yes hello?" He checked his clock it was 1:45AM

"Hey sorry to call you so late, it's Sam from Brownstones, there's a man here in my bar and he's been causing nothing but trouble at the same time shouting obscenities and your name, I assume he's related to you? Before I contact the authorities I wanted to let you know," said the business owner.

Rohan immediately felt awake and got up to get dressed, "I'm so sorry, I'll be right there to get him. Of course I'll pay any damages he's caused."

The owner didn't press any charges since he knew Rohan well and considered him a fine member of the community not to mention all the stress and heartache he must have been under the last couple of months.

Rohan drove home his angry drunk brother, "I'm getting you a flight home. I don't care if you want to or not you're going home."

"Not with out the girl I'm not !" slurred Mr.Satti stumbling forwards into the foyer of the large house.

"She's gone brother...." Rohan muttered placing his car keys on a table by the door. He had lost all hope by now.

Her father tripped over himself and fell to the floor on his rear. He pointed his index finger at Rohan, "You lost her! You pay me for the damages!"

Rohan's boiling anger bubbled in his gut and rose up like fire, "You sorry excuse of a father! She's gone!!! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" He yelled down at the drunker.

"SHES GONE! NEVER COMING BACK!" Rohan's eyes swelled with tears, something he had been holding back for months. "No one knows if she's laying in a ditch somewhere! If she suffered or if she's still suffering!! And all you care about is the goddamn money you woulda made selling her off like cattle!" His fists clenched he wanted nothing more than to swing at his brother and cause him the same horrid pain he felt in his heart.

"You were supposed to protect her... from the moment she was born... that was your job..." Rohan sobbed into his hands, he felt useless and also at fault for not being able to prevent harm to his niece.

His only niece.

Mr.Satti watched his brother cry, it disgusted him so he laid on his back on the cool marble floor.

"I want my money Rohan." He grumbled "I have to pay the suitor back for the trip."

Rohan ceased his cries, his brother would never care for his daughter. Not since his wife passed away, Mr.Satti became a monster no one recognized. And there was no way to change him back.

"How much to get you out of my life?"

*****

"Elizabeth, make sure you let me know when you start feeling cold. I don't want you to be chilled." James rubbed his hands as he watched Elizabeth walk around the snow covered backyard.

He dressed her in his pajama pants under her regular gown, gave her an oversized sweater and his black blazer to wear on top, she wore rain boots that barely fit her with heavy socks. It was all that she could use to keep herself warm outside, from far away she looked like a homeless person but at least a happy one.

She couldn't stop smiling for being able to feel the sun on her face, even though it was bitter cold for January she welcomed the small warmth of the sun.

Her long black hair fluttered in the wind as she walked slowly across the yard, there was no fence and all she could see in the distance were rows and rows of forest and trees.