Chapter 26 - Vigil

"How's your nose?" asked James from an old pay phone. The heavy rain made it difficult to hear Albert on the other side.

"It's fine, just a bit bruised." The young man had permanently removed himself from seminary and drove many hours out of state to a rural area looking for housing to start anew.

"Did you find a place?"

"Yeah, I think so. I think you'll like it."

"What do you mean by that?"

Albert paused for a bit, a smile creeping up on his face. "It's very secluded, there's a lot of trees around and it's just very quiet. I think it'll be calming to live here."

James smiled into the phone. "It sounds nice. Can't wait to see it."

After a short pause, the dread inside Albert made him gulp,  "Umm..everything's...okay?"

The priest knew what he meant.

The police reports were all over the local news and papers.

Missing 15 Year Old Girl. Last Seen On September 1st. Have You Seen Elizabeth Satti?

Reward of $100,000 For Any Information Leading To Safe Return Of Elizabeth Satti.

"Yes. The chapel will be having a vigil this weekend." The priest informed him.

"Oh." Albert knew in his heart that what he had done was beyond wrong, beyond reason and a crime he could face years if not the rest of his life behind bars. But there was no going back now, and he told himself that in the end, everything will be alright as long as he had James. "It's only been a few days though, not even a full week."

James sighed into the phone, "You've forgotten how small and nosy the community is here. Everything will die down eventually though. We'll just have to give it some time."

"I know."

James checked his watch, 6PM. "I have to go prepare evening mass."

"Ok. I'll be heading back then after I leave the deposit for the place."

"Alright, see you soon then,"

"Bye," Albert hung up and pocketed his prepaid cell. He lowered the car seat and closed his eyes. But every time he shut his eyes, all he could hear was Elizabeth's scream. It was becoming harder to sleep.

**************

".....Mr.Alexander....ALEXANDER!" The professor yelled at the dazed student. Immediately, Zach woke up from his day dream.

"Young man!" the old short stubby professor walked across the room to him, all eyes of his fellow classmates were on him. "Would you kindly pay attention to the mess you're making?!" The professor pointed to the bubbling chemical on his desk.

"It's not supposed to boil like that, do it over."

Zach looked down at the instruments on his desk, his black under eyes were becoming purple.

"Sorry sir." he murmured and began to clean up.

He had not slept in days.

After all his classes he went back to his dorm room and crashed on his bed. His roommate was still out. All Zach could do was lay there, eyes wide open at the ceiling, he watched as the light from the window grew thin.

His phone rang, immediately he jumped up to fetch it on his desk, stumbling on his own feet.

"LIZ!?!"