Chapter 41 | The Royal Rumble ; Part One

'Thank you.' I whispered to Punk as he pulled out of our hug slightly.

'Why?' He questioned with a slight chuckle in his voice, unknowing of why I had chosen such words.

'For being my best friend.'
-------------

'You're welcome, Alix.' Punk smiled down toward my tearful self. For the first time in my life I felt genuinely heartbroken. Sure we had our fights, but none of those fights could even reach the equivalent of this.

'You better kick some ass.' We both chuckled between ourselves as I punched his arm lightly. Receiving a reassuring pat on the shoulder I watched as Punk began to lightly jog on the spot as they began to call for the matches. He gave me one last fist bump before completing his jog and heading toward gorilla. I watched as he headed off, drying the tears from my eyes knowing that he'd give it his all for his final match here in the WWE. Biting my bottom lip nervously I headed back towards the Diva's locker room where many Diva's had already taken their seats to watch the match on the screen that had been placed within the locker room. Unfortunately, there was no set Diva's match for the Royal Rumble card this year which really struck a nerve in most of the girls including myself to some extent. I turned my attention and kept my focus on the screen as the match was about to begin.

'Ladies and Gentlemen this is a Royal Rumble match!' Justin Roberts announced, receiving a mainly positive reaction from the crowd.

'Now, two superstars will start in the ring. Every ninety seconds a new participant will enter, elimination occurs when you're thrown over the top rope and both feet touch the floor. This will continue until all thirty men have entered the match. The last remaining superstar will be declared the winner and will earn a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match at Wrestlemania!' I sighed to myself knowing that having a main event match at Wrestlemania was Punk's dream. Justin exited the ring as I bit my fingernails nervously.

Punk's theme then began to blare throughout the arena as the crowd stood on their feet, allowing a rumble of cheers to be heard. Punk walked out onto the stage, his hoodie on with the hood up as he looked directly into the crowd. Raising both of his arms outward he basked in the loud cheering.

'Introducing the first participant. From Chicago, Illinois. Weighing two hundred and eighteen pounds, C.. M.. PUNK!' The crowd chanted along with the ring announcer as Punk's name was announced. Falling down to one knee, Punk began his signature entrance, running his hand over the ground and then pulling up the right sleeve of his hoodie, looking down at his wrist.

'It's clobbering time!' Punk yelled out, his hands at each side of his mouth as the crowd screamed out in excitement, bringing a huge grin to Punk's face as he stood back up on his feet. I could feel chills going down my spine as the realisation had hit that it would be the last time anyone in the audience would see Punk in a WWE ring. Punk then threw his fist in the air as he turned around, his back to the ring, raising his arms out to the side once again. The television camer'as cut to the audience where a group on people were holding up signs for Punk, many also wearing his merchandise. It was such a bittersweet moment. Turning back around Punk pulled down his hood as he walked closer toward the ring, eventually walking up the steel steps and climbing into the ring.

Punk ran around whilst inside the ring for a few moments, taking in the last of his time with the WWE Universe, blowing a small kiss toward them all, his hands stretching up into the air afterwards.  His theme song eventually stopped as he pulled down the zip on his hoodie, taking it off and tossing it aside. My mood dropped as the theme of the next participant began to play. The Shield's theme blared through the arena as Seth Rollins made his way down the staircase through the audience, his eyes never leaving Punk. Hopping over the barricade, Seth climbed into the ring, keeping his position across from Punk. Punk had sat himself down on the lower rope of the turnbuckle, waiting for the bell to ring. After it rang Punk headed straight towards Rollins, not wasting any time, forcing him into the opposite corner and jamming his shoulder into Seth's gut.