Chapter Eleven

I cannot believe we are already on the eleventh chapter! I believe I got all of Avalon's last name change but if you see one, please let me know!

Warning: Has not been edited

Enjoy!

I finished putting up the last of the flyers for the talent competition.

Usually I just help with the stage work, but this year, I'm planning to win it. I actually have no choice but to win it.

The bell rang above my head, signifying the end of last period. Students rushed out into the hallway, anxious to get home and let their weekend begin.

I stuffed my things in my backpack at my feet before lifting it and hauling it over my shoulder. The weight of my books hit me like a ton of bricks as I weaved through students to the auditorium.

The doors opened with a loud creak, thankfully there was no one in here. I made my way up to the balcony when the sound booth was and turned on the switches for the microphone and lights. Tossing my back pack down and soothing my sore muscles, I made my way back down and to the stage.

My biggest fear is performing in front of someone. But if I want to get into this school, I have to do it. This competition will help. The winner is given a grand prize of fifty thousand dollars and a full ride scholarship to the school of their choosing. So, you can see my dilemma. This will help not only with books and other scholastic needs, but with getting over my stage fright as well.

I sat down in front of the piano and stroked its cool keys. I haven't played in a while. They feel so familiar but so foreign at the same time. I played a small tune, reminding myself of the keys.

Taking a deep breath and closing my eyes, I began to play the beginning of Lay Me Down- feeling the rhythm and letting it flow through me like second nature.

Yes I do, I believe

That one day I will be, where I was
Right there, right next to you

And it's hard, the days just seem so dark

The moon, and the stars, are nothing without you

Your touch, your skin, where do I begin?

No words can explain, the way i'm missing you

Deny this emptiness, this hole that i'm inside

These tears, they tell their own story

You told me not to cry when you were gone

But the feeling's overwhelming, it's much too strong

Can I lay by your side, next to you, you

And make sure you're alright

I'll take care of you,

And I don't want to be here if I can't be with you tonight

I'm reaching out to you

Can you hear my call

This hurt that I've been through

I'm missing you, missing you like crazy

Can I lay by your side, next to you, to you

And make sure you're alright

I'll take care of you,

And I don't want to be here if I can't be with you tonight

Lay me down tonight, lay me by your side

Lay me down tonight

Lay me by your side

Can I lay by your side, next to you, you

I played the last notes, my fingertips lingering on the final keys.

Clapping came from behind me- my eyes shot open and I looked towards the open auditorium door.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"That was beautiful. I never knew you could sing or play that good," Sin responded, ignoring my question.

I stood from the chair and rushed down the stage stairs- heading to get my back pack.

"There's a lot you still don't know about me, Sin," I mumbled bitterly.

His footsteps echoed behind mine and up to the sound booth. I grabbed NY back pack and turned around swiftly- colliding with a hard chest. His hands circled around my waist to steady me. I looked up into his soft, blue eyes only to find them already looking at me.

Get a grip, I thought to myself. But it was so hard with his proximity and the smell of his cologne wafting through my nose. I took a deep breath and pulled away from his gentle grasp- putting a few steps in between us.

"That really was amazing. How come I have never heard you sing or play like that?" He inquired.

"Because... I don't like to show people. Plus I am not that good, but I have to get over this before the competition in March," I whispered the last part.

His eyebrow quirked up with interest. "You're doing that competition thingy? You'd be the last person I thought would enter something like that. But now, hearing you play and hearing your voice, I know you would be a shoe in."

A thick heat crawled up my neck and invaded my cheeks. I cast my stare downwards, looking at my battered Chucks.

Stupid Sin and his stupid words. Why did he have to go and do that. Sure I hear compliments all the time- from my parents. Hearing it from someone else though, is a different story. It's not because Sin suddenly got super attractive or that I am attracted to him. Yeah right! Me? Sin? Ha!

"Do you need help?"

"Wha-"

"With the competition. I can, maybe, help you prepare? I know a few things about instruments," a small lopsided smile graced his features.

"Uh... I- I don't think that would be such a great idea. I have issues singing with people listening or watching-"

"Then that would be a great way! I can help you rehearse and prepare. That way, you're ready and maybe it'll help you get over the stage fright by constantly singing for me. It's a perfect idea!"

It would be a great idea. Killing two birds with one stone, I get to practice and have help, plus it really might even help get rid of my stage fright. But there's so much to do and perfect in only five- almost four- months. I guess I could try...?

"Fine. My house tomorrow at eleven." I said. I passed by him and started making my way down the stairs and to head home.

Oh, wait! I have to meet my dad for lunch tomorrow!

I ran back up the stairs and raised my eyebrow, smirking to myself. Sin was still in the same spot, but he was dancing wildly.

"Yes! Uh-huh, oh yeah, oh! Heeeeeey Avalon! I was just- uh... I had a spider on me! Yeah. Creepy, hairy little pests. Did you forget something?" He asked, trying to play it cool.

I laughed and told him to meet me at my house at two instead. With a quick nod I left again, leaving him to do whatever that was.

It would be nice working with him on this, right? I would get over my stage fright and have help choosing a song and rehearsing. A few hours practicing a day isn't so bad.

I mean, how bad could it be?