Chapter Forty-Six

Warning: Has not been edited

Another time jump. Use your imagination on what celebration they had lol

Avalon

Every since the auditions I've been on edge. The stress with schoolwork and the pending semifinals Sin and I are preparing for doesn't help. We had a moment of relaxation when we went to celebrate, but that has been it so far. I was grateful for Tris' idea; A break from reality was definitely needed.

I lay in bed, waiting for the sharp twist in my chest to dissipate before trying to move; I've found it helps to rest for a moment. I look over to my nightstand and see the still unopened bottle of pills I was prescribed by the doctor.

I sigh as I reach for it before pausing mid-air. Do I really need them? Why use them and risk getting addicted if I'm going to need a new heart anyways? Its been months since I was put on the waiting list, I can go a few more, right?

The pain slowly subsides into a dull roar and I slowly lift myself from the bed to prepare for the exhausting day ahead.

                                .•*•.

Sin

"You need to tell her," Justin reprimanded exhausted.

I ran a hand down my face. I'd heard enough of this for the past few months, I don't want to hear it anymore.

"I'll tell her when I'm good and damn well ready," I snap at him.

"You need to tell her before someone else does," Clay intervened.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "Or what? You'll tell her?"

"Maybe we will," Justin said defiantly. I wouldn't think he would, but the hard look in his eyes tells a different story.

"Whose side are you on?" I snap again. The stress of everything is slowly getting to me; I don't mean to take it out on anyone, but it's beyond my control at this moment.

We walked down the sidewalk towards Justin's house in brooding silence for a moment. We were supposed to be going to school but decided to just skip and blow off some steam.

"We are on your side, man," Justin says and I snort. Yeah, feel the love. "But it's not right that you're still hiding part of your life from her. Even if it is in the past. You guys have spent plenty of time together and you've been lying about everything that happened while you were away. You told her you have never loved anyone and that Decland went away to some relatives because he and his mom had a disagreement. That's not right and if she finds out, you could lose her."

He had a point. I couldn't lose her, not when she is finally mine and mine alone. I didn't mean to lie about Talia, it just sort of... Came out. It felt... Wrong to share Talia with someone she didn't know existed; and would never know. And Decland... I did what I was asked of. Before he left he informed me not to mention the real reasons he left and made me swear to protect Avalon.

God, she is going to be so pissed when she finds out I've lied about so much. She will be hurt, but Justin is right. If we are going to be together we have to tell each other the truth. No matter what happens.

"I know," I said as we reached his house.

Clay placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed. "We're right here. She is going to be hurt, but she won't leave. She cares for you too much." He shot me a sympathetic look before following Justin into the threshold.

"You know?" I ask him, referring to Avalon and I being together.

He scoffed.

"Please, you can see the 'feels' radiating off of you two whenever you guys are around each other."

Avalon

"Hey, have you seen Sin?" I asked Tris as I reached my locker. "Or the boys?" I added not to give it away. We're still a secret, but it's killing me to not tell my best friend.

"No," She said. She glanced into my locker at the mirror and puckered her lips, adding a matte burgundy lipstick.
"I'm sure he will show."

I shook my head, an uneasy feeling settling in my chest.

"I don't know. I didn't see Sin this morning."

She closed my locker for me before looking at me with a smile and raised eyebrow.

"He will be fine. Your boyfriend can handle himself," she rolled her eyes playfully.

My eyes widened. "You know?"

She looked at me like I had grown two heads. "Of course! You guys made it extremely obvious at the auditions. Jealous girls are even starting to take bids on your head." She laughed and I did the same.

Tris walked away, heading to her first class of the day as I situated my books closer to my chest.

A piece of paper fell out of one of my books and I bent down to pick it up. I don't remember marking a place in there.

I carefully unfolded it and looked at the contents.

Meet me behind the gymnasium at eleven o'clock. If you want the truth about your boyfriend, don't be late.

"Signed, R. Who the heck is R?" I wondered out loud.

I racked my brain for the answer for three of my classes. As I entered my fourth class of the day before lunch, I glance at the clock.

Thirty minutes.

The teacher droned on and on about quadratic formulas and the Pythagorean Theorem, my eyes steadily eyed the clock.

"Mrs. West, since this class is so simple for you, why don't you solve this equation for us," Mrs. Clover said.

"Okay," I said meekly as I stood up to go to the board.

"No. No scratch work or anything. Stay in your seat. Now let's see," she said as she tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Ah! Okay, negative five x squared plus three x equals eleven. Solve."

I thought for a second. "Would you like the step by step solution or just the answer?"

"Answer, please," she replied snottily. She thinks she outsmarted me, well, I am going to prove her wrong.

"Three over ten plus or minus i square root two- hundred and eleven over ten-"

She opened her mouth with a smirk before I continued.

"OR three over ten plus or minus square root two-hundred and eleven over negative ten," I replied, crossing my arms over my chest. "Now may I go to the library? I have a report due next period."

She nodded her head, not saying anything in sheer embarrassment.

I grabbed my bags and darted out of the classroom with a satisfied smile on my face. I slowly made my way to the gym, knowing I had at least fifteen more minutes until I had to meet R.

I made it with eight minutes to spare and I sat my bags down on the ground, patiently waiting.

"Didn't think you would come," a gruff voice said from behind me.

I turned around to see a familiar man. A long black trenchcoat was covering his body and a pair of nice dress shoes adorned his feet. A fedora was perched on his head, hiding part of his face from the sun.

"Do I know you?" I asked wearily. I took a step back, more for comfort than anything.

"We've met. I more of a friend of Sin's," he said with a dark laugh. His voice made my stomach uneasy and my already pounding heart beat ten fold.

"What do you want?" I asked harshly.

"Ah, Avalon, I see you haven't lost your feistiness. Cut to the chase kind of girl, I like it," he said lowly as he stepped closer.

"Get a move on. Lunch starts in fifteen minutes and I am starving."

"Alright, alright," he said as he placed his hands in surrender. "Your boyfriend has been lying to you."