Chapter Fifty-One

Warning: Has not been edited

Avalon

"Will you please just talk to me?" I questioned Tris for the millionth time.

She ignored me once again and lifted her head high as she closed her locker. She began walking away again before I grabbed her elbow and turned her to face me.

Her lips were pursed in a thin black line- her lipstick choice for the day. Her eyes were glossy and looking above my head at nothing significant, trying to avoid my eyes.

"Look, I'm sorry, T. I've had so much on my plate and I haven't been a very good friend. I'm a shitty friend but I love you like a sister. Sister's argue and say hurtful things but in the end they will always have each other's backs because they love each other. I am so sorry... I never meant to hurt you or disregard the way you felt about all of this," I exclaimed, moving my hands in the air dramatically. "You were right... God... You were so right and I'm so blind and stupid and-"

"Say that again," she said. I was too focused on my little rant to see that she was now looking at me. Her icy eyes had toned down and we're now waiting for me to continue.

I sighed and rubbed my hand down my face harshly. "You were right."

Her face immediately lit up as a huge grin took place of her scowl. She looped her arm through mine and we walked down the hall to our last period class.

"That's it? That's all I had to say?! You made me our my heart out to you and that's all you wanted to hear?" I asked dumbstruck.

She giggled and pulled me closer to her.

"Awe, of course sweetheart! The rest was just a bonus," she grinned. "I mean, I couldn't let you off the hook with a simple sorry," she added on with a wink.

"I hate you," I grumbled.

"No you don't. That's just the Sin withdrawals talking," she laughed. I smiled, knowing she wasn't exactly wrong.

We branched off different ways to our classes after promising to meet up after out front.

I walked into class, my eyes drifting to the back of the room where Sin usually sat.

Of course he wasn't here. Surprise, surprise, I thought to myself.

The whole class period I sat and thought about him. His stormy eyes that crinkle when he smiles or laughs. His bright smile that makes my heart leap. His smooth, deep voice that makes my insides churn and melt like butter. He was perfect... Is perfect.

My thoughts wandered back to that day and how much of a fool I was. I didn't care about any of the stuff that man told me, only that Sin lied and didn't tell me himself. I didn't even give him a chance to explain.

My heart aches as loneliness pools in the pit of my stomach.

I've got to make this right... But how? When?

                                .•*•.

The day of semi-finals has finally arrived.

My head hurts, my nerves are shot and I haven't seen or spoken to Sin in a month.

Sending my distress, Tris places a hand on my shoulder comfortingly.

"It'll be okay. You've rehearsed this a million and one times. You're going to be amazing and even if you're not, you still have me," she tried.

"Wow, thanks for the pep talk. I feel so much better," I said sarcastically with a blank face.

"No problem! I know-" she was cut off when two figures approached.

Justin and Clay smiled big as they stopped in front of us.

"What are you guys doing here?" Tris asked with slight hostility.

Her eyes were narrowed on the boys as she crossed her arms defiantly over her chest.

They held their hands up in surrender as they smiled back at us.

I discreetly peeked over their shoulder to see if a certain tall, brown head blue eyed boy was with them. Justin caught my gaze but didn't question it.

"We can't come see our favorite musician?" Clay asked, placing a hand over his heart.

"Hell no! You guys just ditched us after Sin left and we suddenly become chopped liver!" Tris exclaimed, slapping Clay and Justin on the arms.

"Sorry! We've been... Preoccupied," Justin explained sheepishly. Clay and Justin exchanged looks before looking back at me.

"Do you smell something?" I asked. They all looked at one another before shaking their heads. "Something smells fishy," I said as I squinted at the boys.

They looked at one another again before smiling widely and shaking their heads once again.

"We don't know what you're talking about," Clay mused.

"Anyways! Good luck, Avalon! We know you've got this!" Justin said before gripping Clay's arm and dragging him away.

"I better get to my seat. You'll do great! I love you and remember that no matter what happens, you're an amazing musician."

I hugged Tris and thanked her before she left to go to her seat.

I peeked out of the curtains- which was a very bad idea. A very, very bad idea.

Every seat was filled and some were even standing. I felt my breath get caught in my throat as I saw Sin and Decland's family pile in up front.

But what shocked me the most was the golden haired boy with them.

His light green polo shirt was nearly tucked into a pair of light washed jeans and black dress shoes. His golden locked were pushed back from his face, revealing a slight stubble that hadn't been there the last time I saw him. His green eyes were alight and searching the stage before they landed on me with my head poked out. He smiled small before I hastily pulled my head back.

"What is Decland doing here?" I asked myself.

Several minutes later, everyone was seated and chatting amongst themselves; waiting for the show to begin.

The stage director met with all the contestants individually before opening the show; letting everyone know when they were scheduled to go on.

Thankfully, I was next to last. Giving me time to prepare while he other acts were on stage or getting ready.

I went over my lyrics and sheet music a few more times.

Everyone was good. I mean... Really good...

Oh God, there is no way I can compare to these guys, I thought drearily.

As my time to go on neared, my heart began beating out of control and my breathing quickened.

No. No. No. No.

This is not the time for a panic attack! I scolded myself.

I heard the directors voice over the microphone as the previous performer finished.

"Great job! Everyone give a round of applause for Katherine Shaw!"

Applause erupted, cheering on the previous contestant.

I peered out of the curtain one more time, my eyes instantly finding the Juilliard judges.

Two men and one woman all sat in the front row with clipboards on their laps as the scribbled notes down.

My heart beat doubled and my breathing became frantic.

No!

I could do this.

I had to.

I can't screw up my only chance to get into the school of my dreams.

I can't...

"Next up, Avalon West!"