Chapter Thirty-Six

Warning: Has not been edited.

Avalon

A half hour later, we pulled up to a prison.

Yes, a prison. You heard me correctly.

There was a wrought iron gate fencing the premises in. Barbed wire topped it off, making it a painful escape for anyone who dare tried. The whole building was made of stone, painted a light blue. It looked as horrendous on the out side as it did the in.

We walked up to a counter with a graying woman seated in a plush roller chair.

"May I help you?" She asked hoarsely. Her voice scraped at the inside of my head like nails on a chalkboard. It sounded as if she had just smoked three packs of cigarettes.

"Uh- we have a visitation with Mrs. West," Sin said politely.

She typed in her computer and gestured an officer over.

He nodded briskly and said to follow him.

We followed quickly behind as we took a few turns.

We came into an open room. There was glass separating two sides. Both sides were a bland gray. Everything was set up like cubicles, a telephone being the only thing in them.

The officer gestured me to one of the chairs and I sat down, patiently waiting.

It's been a while since I had last seen my mother. I still had vivid nightmares of everything, causing me to lose much needed sleep. I've gotten to the point where sleep is just a glorious wish that will never come true.

A door in the corner of the other side opened and a police officer came out with a woman in handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit.

Her once naturally beautiful golden locks were now a matted, intangible mess on her head. Her usually crystal clear eyes were now dull and sunken in. The skin that used to be sun kissed was now pale and gray. The past months had really taken a toll on her and didn't help now that she was in jail.

She sat down in front of me and slowly picked up the phone as I did the same.

Tears welled in my eyes. "M-Mom?" I croaked.

A faint smile turned her solemn features upward.

"Hello, honey," her voice was smooth and calm.

"Oh my God," I couldn't stop the stray tears. "I miss you so much."

Her eyes brimmed with unshed tears. "I miss you too, sweetheart. God," she choked out. "I'm so sorry I put us in this mess."

"I am too," I said.

Sin stood behind me quietly as I spoke to my mother for a few minutes.

"Mom, do you remember Sin?" I asked. She glanced over at him as her eyes hardened.

"You mean that little pest that bullied you every day? Yes, is this him?" She asked harshly.

I nodded hesitantly. My mom never liked Sin, she was always more of a Decland fan.

"You grew up good," she remarks. "But I still hate you for everything you put my daughter through. Are you dating?" She asked.

"No," Sin and I rushed out at the same time.

"Good," she paused. "Avalon, I have a favor to ask of you." I nodded my head briskly. Sure she committed a horrible crime and I should hate her. But I couldn't. She was the woman who birthed me. Who loved me unconditionally and cared about me no matter what. She was my hero and I was her sidekick. "I need you to be a witness."

Her words stuck a chord with me. She wanted me to defend her? But how could I? She was covered in my fathers blood and had a weapon in her hands.

"I- what?"

"I need for you to do whatever you can and get me out of here," she pleads calmly.

A burst of sadness overwhelmed me. I turned towards Sin.

"Did you set this up or did she ask?"

He looked baffled for a split moment before covering.

"I got a call from Decland asking me to bring you here at your mothers request."

"You wouldn't answer your phone honey. I contacted the only other person I could to reach you. But I didn't know at the time that Decland was no longer there. Or that he would pass the message to him," she bit out.

"So you wanted me here- to see me- because you want me to lie on the stand for you?" I yelled harshly.

"Keep your voice down, young lady. I am your mother and you will not speak to me that way," she reprimanded. She was now standing from her chair with her free hand balled into a fist on the counter.

"No, you lost the right to be called my mother when you decided to hole up in your room for months on end. When you decided that maybe your pain from losing your husband was worse than your daughter losing her father," my voice raised as I continued. Tears of anger and overwhelming sadness escaped my eyes. "You lost the right to be my mother when you murdered my father."

I was ready to go as Sin placed a hand on my shoulder and tried to lead me out.

I took one last look at my mothers defeated figure. 

"Don't ever contact me again."

And with that, Sin and I walked out.

Don't forget to

C
O
M
M
E
N
T

A
N
D

V
O
T
E

Brittney💜