Chapter Forty-Five

Warning: Has not been edited

Avalon

"Oh God, I think I'm going to vomit," I muttered as I peeked through the curtain at the judges.

In the fourth row, Principal Hartfield sat with two other teachers; Mrs. Peri and Mr. Conch. Towards the middle sat Tris, Justin and Clay smiling and waving at us for support. I looked back to the teachers.

Mr. Conch was a spiteful old man. His wrinkly face had frown lines galore and a permanent scowl was etched onto it. He looked to be grumbling lowly to himself. Trust me, I don't want you here either, buddy. His balding head reflected the light, momentarily blinding me. I looked away and at Mrs. Peri.

Mrs. Peri was leaning over toward Mr. Hartfield whispering animatedly and laughing like he was Kevin Hart. She stooped even lower and I could see Mr. Hartfield's eyes lower briefly and then dart back to her eyes. He's married, for pete's sake!

"Ugh, now I really am going to barf."

"Why don't you find a sandpit and bury your head in it like ostrich's? Maybe that will help with the vomiting," Sin joked.

I wrung my hands together nervously before wiping the sweat off of them and onto my jeans. A sharp stinging pain ripped through my chest, causing a small gasp.

Sin quirked his eyebrow but said nothing.

I could feel the sweat beading on my brow and my heart starting to beat faster as the nerves consumed me.

"Did you know that in a study of two hundred thousand ostriches in a span of eighty years, not one ostrich was ever recorded burying their head in the sand?" I wiggled my nose, feeling a sneeze coming on. "Oh God I have to sneeze. Never mind, it went away. Did you know if you try to suppress a sneeze, you're more likely to bust a blood vessel? Oh, did you know the first fossilized specimen of Australopithecus afarenisis was named Lucy after the paleontologists' favorite song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," by the Beatles? Or that the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper? Or, or-"

I felt Sin's warm hands grab my shoulders gently and look into my eyes.

"Avalon," he began, pushing a strand of hair from my face. "You ramble when you're nervous. You will be amazing, just like you naturally are. You are going to blow their minds and they will have no other choice than to say yes."

"We," I corrected quietly.

"Huh?"

"We. We're going to blow their minds." I said again.

Sin smiled, his eyes still searching mine for any fear. Once he found none, he planted a sweet, tender kiss to my lips. My knees felt weak and my heart soared like it was the first time all over again.

                                  .•*•.

All the acts had already been.

Sin and I were last.

I am terrified! The acts that had performed did amazingly well and I could feel the hope slipping through my fingers like sand every heart stopping moment.

"Next!" Mr. Hartfield bellowed.

The previous act sulked off the stage; making it clear they were shot down.

Sin and I hesitantly made our way from back stage.

The bright lights were harsh and I could already feel myself perspiring profusely.

Don't throw up. Don't throw up.

I clutched my mic tighter as we reached the center of the stage. All of the previous acts sat in any vacant seats, waiting patiently to see how serious the competition is.