Chapter Twelve

^^^ Noah Burke

Warning: Has not been edited.

I woke up the next morning, dreading the lunch with my father.

Ever since I caught him cheating on mom there has been tension between the two of us. A wall was slowly building and I feared that once it was complete, there would be no way to get over it.

Since then, dad has filed for divorce from my mom and moved out, sending her into fits of weeping and sobbing. She would barely sleep but when she did she wouldn't leave her bed unless it was for work or the bathroom. She barely ate and it was beginning to take a toll on her. Her once healthy and voluminous body was becoming unhealthy and fragile at an alarming rate. Her gorgeous, silky blonde hair began to fall out and her deep, green, emerald eyes looked dead and dull. These past few weeks, there had been no trace of a smile or even a hint of there ever being one. It was like her whole body shut down- shutting me out at the same time.

I sighed as a grabbed a pair of jeans and a band tee. Throwing on my converse and parka, I made my way out to the cool October weather.

The cafe he wanted to meet at was only a few blocks away from our home.

I arrived in fifteen minutes, rushing into the warmth the cafe offered. The bell above my head dinged, signifying the staff of a new customer.

I took a seat in an empty booth.

"Hello my name is- Oh, hey Avalon!"

I looked up at the sound of his voice to be met with deep blue-gray eyes and cropped brown hair.

"Uuuuhhhhh, I'm sorry, how do you know my name?" I asked, suddenly weary of this place.

"Oh! Sorry, we got to Crescent High together? I'm in your AP Economics class. I'm Noah Burke," he explained.

"Oh! I am so sorry, I'm bad with names.... and faces. I also didn't recognize you in... that," I said, referring to his uniform.

A black cap was situated on his head, making some of his brown hair curl from the sides. He wore a white, short sleeved button down with black cargo shorts and black sneakers. A red apron was around his hips with little pockets for tips.

It suited the color theme of the cafe. One wall was red while the rest were white with black and white pictures from around the world painted on them. 'Wanderlust' was painted in red over one wall.

Noah caught my eye, "Yeah, it is called the Wanderlust Cafe." He chuckled. "I take it you've never been here?"

I shook my head.

"Well in that case, this one is on the house."

"Oh, no- I couldn't."

"Nah, its fine! Look, it's on the house as long as you let me choose your food."

Finally coming to an agreement, he put my order in with the cook while I waited for my dad and my food.

A few minutes later, a plate was placed in front of me.

"A spaghetti taco?" I asked.

A smile was plastered on his face, making his eyes light up.

"Yep, my personal favorite and probably the best dish ever created."

I'll be the judge of that.

I slowly took a small bite and let my taste buds roam over the new flavor. They burst with life as I took another bite, a huge one this time. A moan escaped my mouth from its deliciousness.