Chapter Thirty-Three

Warning: Has not been edited

Avalon

I thought he would scream and yell; I thought he would be so mad at me and never speak to me again.

His hands gently cradled me closer to him as we descended down the stairs. At first I was confused, but then as we turned a corner, I know where we were headed.

The sound booth.

My prediction was correct as he steadied me and opened the door. He placed me on the plush sofa and kneeled down in front of me.

His eyes swirled with so many emotions, switching constantly. But the most prominent one... Affection.

"What are we doing here, Sin?" I asked, wiping under my eyes. My nose was stuffy and I was pretty sure it was as red as Rudolph's too.

"I don't like seeing that kind of stuff on you. I don't like seeing you hurting and knowing there is nothing I can do to ease your pain. But that doesn't mean I won't try," he said earnestly.

I rolled my eyes, "That doesn't answer my question."

"Practice. We're going to practice. Music helps me take my mind off things and let's me think. It is the only constant thing in my life that doesn't judge nor betray me," he nodded his head towards the door and walked to it. He swings the door open and ushers me in, closing it behind us.

I walk over to the keyboard, brushing my fingertips lightly over the keys.

He takes his place on a stool, guitar in hand.

I took my feelings of depression, loss and abandonment and put them into my music. I don't know how long we have been down here, but I could tell it was helping, even just a little.

"Do you feel better?" He asked.

I nodded briefly.

"A little. Thank you, I just... Thank you, Sin," I replied weakly.

I looked down at my exposed arms. It was ugly. I felt ugly- physically and emotionally. I felt as if I was going no where fast and it was draining. I felt as of the life had been sucked from my very soul and I was holding on by a thin line.

"What song do you want to do for the comp?" His voice broke through my thoughts. He was purposefully diverting the topic, somehow knowing where my thoughts were.

I racked my brain for a few minutes, thinking hard. The right song could guarantee us a spot in the semi finals. Although, the wrong choice could completely alter my dream. It has be a careful decision. The comp was a good few months away, so we had plenty of time to prepare four songs. One for the qualifying round, one for semi finals, one for finals and if we won, our victory song. All the songs would be performed in front of an audience except for our auditions; unless someone wanted to watch.

I was contemplating, when I finally had the perfect song in mind.

"UP," I said.

"Huh?" He asked confused.

"Olly Murs and Demi Lovato 'UP'. I think that song will be enough to get us through qualifying rounds," I hope at least.

He nodded as we began practicing. We practiced and tweaked the song to fit our vocals and pitch, only breaking for the bathroom.

A few hours later we had finally finished and I felt like I was about to die from starvation.

My mind had been clear for a few hours while focusing on my music and the comp; but now that we were done for the time being, the thoughts were becoming very prominent again. My hand was beginning to itch, missing the familiar feel.

I didn't notice I was staring at my marks again, beginning to scrape my nails against them roughly.

"Hey!" My head snapped up to meet Sin's curious eyes. They softened as they saw through me and to my inner turmoil.

"Sorry, but don't do that. You'll only make it worse, it needs to heal properly," I nodded in response and stood from my place.

"Are you hungry? I can order a pizza if-" his offer was sweet, but I quickly declined. I mumbled an incoherent excuse and rushed upstairs to the room Mrs. Blake was graciously letting me use.

Locking the door as I entered, I hastily undid my shirt, throwing it to the ground and lunging for the blade my fingers were aching for.

***********
The tip pierced my stomach and I let out a hiss as it dragged across.

Relief flooded my system, like an addict when they finally get their fix.

I lowered myself to the floor and I continued, slowly making more marks that would most definitely turn into ugly scars. I didn't want to die, just take the edge off of the pain. Everyone has their guilty pleasure, maybe this is mine.

I didn't understand what I could have possibly done to deserve everything that has happened. Did I do something wrong? Did I say something I shouldn't have?

I didn't notice I was crying until I felt a tear fall onto my stomach, making the little blood smear and run.

************

My silent tears turned into full blown sobs.

Rushed knocks were heard at my door, but I didn't bother to open it.

That was a mistake.

The door was forcefully busted open and Sin looked like he had run a marathon.

His eyes found mine and rushed towards me. He gently took the blade from me, setting it to the side and pulling me to him.

His eyes held so much sadness and helplessness as they bored into my teary ones. He cradled me softly, whispering soothing words into my hair.

After my sobs gradually died out, I finally had the courage to look back at him. His husky scent sending my brain into shock by his proximity.

"Why?"

One question.

One word.

I had never heard so much hurt come from his lips as I did in that one word. My heart ached for a reason I wasn't sure of.

I slowly shook my head, looking down and away from his saddened gaze.

His index finger and thumb gently cupped my chin, lifting my gaze to his once more.

"I am here for you, Avalon. Whatever you are going through, let me help you. I can't say I will understand but let me try. Let me take some of that pain off of your shoulders and carry it on my own. I will happily carry your burden if it means I can see you happy and smiling again. I don't like to see you so... Broken. Not when I know you, know the real you- the perfect you. Come to me. Talk to me. Let me be there for you," he whispered. " I'm here for you. I will always be here for you." He planted a tender kiss on the top of my head, sending shivers down the length of my body.

His eyes spoke the truth, that he was willing to help me get through whatever this was.

I nodded weakly, leaning into his comforting touch and musky scent.

It's in this moment that I feel completely content. Not happy, not sad... But content. Like the world could end right now and I wouldn't even notice.

It was in this moment I realized...

I'm falling in love with Sin.

Fun fact: the song was originally going to be 'Just Give Me a Reason' by Pink and Nate Ruess.

Don't forget to

C
O
M
M
E
N
T

A
N
D

V
O
T
E

Brittney 💜