Chapter Twenty-Four

Warning: Has not been edited.

The building stood tall in front of us but looked as if it would crumble at any given moment. The rough exterior looked like it had withstood many a storm- with cracked foundations and weathered paint peeling off.

I didn't particularly like the creepy aura that surrounded it either.

"You girls stay in the car," Clay ordered.

"What? No way!"

"Okay!" Tris exclaimed at the same time as me. We gave each other a look.

I turn back to Clay to see him already out of the car and stalking towards the building with Justin.

Justin's hostility rang through my ears as I hopped out of the car and raced after them. Tris remained in the car, playing on her phone.

I tried to keep as quiet as I could, not wanting either of them to hear me.

"Do you think he's alright?" Clay asked.

Justin scoffed. "Of course he's okay, you nitwit. He's the boss' son. Those clowns wouldn't dare lay a hand on him or Calvin would kill them."

They approached the entrance of the building while I quickly hid behind a stack of crates. Their eyes darted around, looking for anyone who could be watching. Clay's fingers quickly punched in a code on the key pad next to the door. A loud click echoed through the empty space as they slid inside.

I ran as quietly as I could to the door and grabbed the handle right before it shut. Peeping my head inside, I see them walking up a flight of stairs that looked completely unstable.

"Yeah, but you know they don't have that good of a relationship. Not after Talia, anyways," Clay voiced.

Talia?

I've heard that name before.

"I know. Sin... He changed after all that with her. I don't see why he is willing to put himself in that situation again with Avalon," Justin forced out. From here I could even see the permanent scowl etched onto his face like a portrait.

I tip toed silently up the stairs after them, careful to go slowly as to not step on loose floorboards.

"Love makes us do stupid things," was Clay's simple reply. With a shrug of his shoulders they hit a button for an elevator.

I snuck around a corner until they disappeared from sight. As I stepped out from my hiding spot, I watched the floor numbers at the top of the elevator rise.

Floor number twenty-three.

I looked around for a staircase- afraid that the elevator would bring too much attention to myself.

After spotting one, I carefully walked to it and budged open the heavy metal door. A loud creak sounded around the corridor.

Thank god there isn't anyone else here, I thought.

Just as I entered, one large hand clasped harshly around my mouth and another around my neck.

I tried to pry my attackers dirty, grimy hand from my mouth- but my efforts were futile. The man- obviously from his grip and large calloused hands- was too strong for a girl of my stature.

He began dragging me backwards towards the elevator. My muffled screams and cries fell on deaf ears as he forcefully took me inside.

He hit floor number twenty-three and up we went. My fighting didn't stop until the door opened and I was roughly shoved out. I landed on my knees, my hands just barely catching myself as I hit the cold marble floor.

"Avalon?" A voice said.

My eyes lifted and met Sin's stone face. He did not look very pleased.

"Why the fuck would you guys bring her here?" And my assumption is correct.

Clay held up his hands in defense, "Hey, don't look at me! I told her to stay in the car. It's not my fault she's stubborn."

"Hey!" I shouted. I stood up and dusted the dirt off my hands and jean clad legs. "It's not his fault. I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

I watched as Sin's face morphed, turning even colder- if it was even possible.

A scoff escaped his mouth.

"Go back to Decland, Avalon. I didn't ask for you to come here nor do I want you here," his tone was harsh and almost made me flinch away. Almost.

I glared daggers and stalked up to him- fuming.

My finger jabbed into his hard chest as I looked him directly in his eyes. They remained emotionless as he looked down at me with a hard set jaw.

"Look here, I don't care if you asked or wanted me here. I came here to check on you and make sure you weren't thrown in a damn ditch somewhere! I want answers and I want the damn truth, Sin. No more skirting around or avoiding the conversation. I want it and I want it now," I breathed out.

The sound of clapping filled the silent room.

"What a show, my good lady. Such anger, such intensity, such... Fire," a booming voice said. I looked over to my right to see an older man in a black leather chair.

A sharp pain infiltrated my chest and I tried to ignore it as I focused on the man.

He was in his mid fifties at most. A sharp, tailored suit hugged his slim body. His black hair was slicked back- making him look like part of a sixties mafia leader. The tattoo of an eye peeked out from underneath his right sleeve along with a few other intricate designs I had no interest in. But what caught me off guard the most was his mis matched eyes. One a deep chocolate brown and the other a blue similar to Sin's.

"Excuse me, where are my manners," he stood up from his seat, walking around the mahogany desk with an outstretched hand. "My name is Xavier Blake."

I wearily took his cold, clammy hand in mine. It felt similar to shaking hands with a reptile- it was enough to make my skin crawl.

The pain in my chest ruptured again and shot down my arms.

I winced slightly, enough to go unnoticed.

"Avalon," I squeaked.

"Oh, I know, my dear. My son talks a lot of you. But I must say, my son's extensive knowledge on your beauty is of no comparison to seeing it in the flesh," he smiled. His smile gave me the creeps.

"Thank... You?" I say weakly.

My breath started to weaken and my head suddenly felt light. A wave of exhaustion hit me, making me slightly tumble over.

Sin's arms wrapped around me quickly.

His eyes were curious. "Have you been eating, Avalon? You look... Almost malnourished."

I shook my head slightly. I've been too busy worrying about the competition and my mother to focus on myself. I knew it was bad- but it was a habit to always put everyone and their needs before my own.

The ache in my chest became more prominent as black dots danced in my vision. 

I could feel myself slowly floating in and out as Sin repeated my name. Everyone's faces hovered above my own in a blurry mess- my eyes just wouldn't focus properly.

I lost the battle with my mind and let the darkness consume my whole body.

Comment★Vote★Enjoy