Pick me up

So there he stood. At deaths door, a funeral parlour. The passing of his caretaker made his mood plummet. He walked in with signed papers in his hands, all legal stuff about the funereal. What made him sad was the fact he didn't have anyone left...

"Hello deary" you said.

"Hi..." L said sadly.

"Here about Watari?"

"Yeah..."

He handed you the papers and you quickly filed them.

You glanced up at him, seeing a sad look on his face. You never really sympathised anyone, all your life in a funeral parlour did that to you. In fact your whole family had this job, it was driven into your brain not to feel emotion.

"Hey... smile, he's in a better place" you said, putting your hands in his shoulders.

He still looked sad.

"Look, I'm sorry for your loss... but a smile is the best cure"

Your whole family were amazing comedians. You knew what to do, give some of your love for laughter to him.

"Come on, I know how to make you smile..."

"How?"

"Let me tell you some jokes, I'm good at them"

He nodded to show he was listening.

"Guy walks into a bar and orders a fruit punch.
Bartender says "Pal, if you want a punch you'll have to stand in line" Guy looks around, but there is no punch line."

He giggled.

"That was bad" he said.

"Bad jokes are my best ones! And look at that you're already smiling"

"Excuse me for asking... but... why are you trying to help me?" He asked.

Why were you? Because for some reason you felt bad for him.

"I feel bad for you, that frown hasn't gone away all the times I've seen you, I want you to smile!"

Suddenly you were pulled into a hug, you were shocked at the action but hugged back.

"Thank you"