16. Monday's Problems

Monday came rolling around the corner and I soon found myself standing at the entrance of the school. Students ran past me, their mood high and energy level even higher. How can anyone be happy on a Monday?

I sighed deeply, my body relaxing for a second before I pushed open the doors and strolled inside to all the problems and students their laid ahead.

Mr. Smith came walking down the corridor, his hands filled with stacks of books there covered his deep brown eyes. "Need some help?" I asked him, transferring half of the books to my own two hands.

"Thank you, Nina. You are always so helpful," he said, his smile spreading from his mouth to his sparkling eyes.

"No problem, I needed to deliver a book back before class anyway," I answered, my shoulder shrugging by their own will. Mr. Smith had always been nice and loved to joke every time I would pick out a new book to read.

"Do you need a recommendation for another?" He pushed open a door with his hip. He held it open for me with his back. I smiled at him as I walked through.

"No, I think I already have chosen a topic." I politely waited for him to stroll up beside me. 

"And what is this new topic?"

"Physical Science." It was a big topic, but I loved reading about it and all its weird words. Learning had always been fun for me and had helped me learn much faster than others.

"Interesting," he muttered, leaving us in a comfortable silence the rest of the way down to the library.

Students roamed past us, not giving me or Mr. Smith a single glance, we were as invisible ghosts walking the streets of New York City. We turned around the corner and inside the library, there, weird enough, had more than five people inside of it.

"It's busy today," I said, placing the books on the desk and whipping away the few drops of sweat on my forehead.

"Yes, there have been more students than ever," he said, his breathing rapid and his small hands found his hips as he bent forward. "Do you have any idea why?"

"No."

Mr. Smith glanced upwards, his mouth opened slightly and his eyes fixed as if he was staring at something yards behind me. "What is it?" I asked, twirling around to be faced with the one and only Anthony Martinez who was in such a good mood it should be illegal.

He strolled down the rows of shelves, sending wink after wink, shooting down girl after girl.

"Now I understand why the major of the visitors are girls," Mr. Smith said with a sigh, returning to his job. "Shall I take your book?"

I stood frozen to the place, watching as Anthony walked past me without as much glancing at me. Didn't he see me?

"Earth calls Nina." Mr. Smith's hand waved before my eyes, bringing me back to reality. "Shall I take your book?" he asked one more time. I nodded, swaying my hands down in my bag to search for the book I had been reading.

I lifted it up, laying it in his hand. "Here you go," I said, swinging my bag up on my shoulder.

He waved as I left the library with a feeling that I forgot something. I walked out the ocean blue doors and turned, ready to head to class. Physical Science. I stopped in my tracks, my eyes open wide. I forgot my book!

I sprinted the other way, looking down as students walked past me. As I turned, a broad figure stood in my way. I tried to sway around, however, he moved. I tried again, but with no luck. "Excuse me." I tried again, but with the same result. "I said excuse me!"