44. He Was Taken

I sat on the couch, with my knees pulled up to my chest and thinking. Mostly about my oldest brother but also what there had gone down, when we had all returned to the courtroom and the jury had told us their final decision. I remembered as if it had only happened a few seconds ago.

The piece of paper was sent to a man standing at the end of the jury. He stood from his seat and opened it up, a bit too slow for my liking. I sat on the edge of my seat, secretly finding my brothers hand to hold. I squeezed it to hold back my tears and screams of impatience. When he finally opened his mouth, I closed my eyes.

"The jury finds John Watson guilty of child abuse." As the sweet words left his words, everybody except for me and my parents shot up from their seats and embraced each other in hugs of joy and relief.

I gulped, trying to keep my already dripping tears back. My jaw clenched as I stared at the floor. "John Watson is sentenced seven years in prison for committing child abuse against his own child Nina Watson." And finally, the judge hit her hammer down on her table and it was official.

My father was going to jail.

I turned on the TV and instantly the news was booming. "I'm standing in the exact courtroom where John Watson, our own lawyer Charlotte Watson's husband was declared guilty of child abuse against his own child Nina Watson and sentenced seven years in jail for his crimes."

I gulped as I heard the man talk about something he had no idea about. Something private. But what could I do? The city had always loved a good story.

"There has been no comment from either of the sides. Sources tell us that John Watson was also lying in his testimony and that that crime also was counted into his sentence of seven years. We got a quick glint of Charlotte Watson leaving the court."

Over the screen, a video of my mother came. She was rushing to her car, shielding herself from the camera. She didn't look happy and who could blame her. She had just seen her husband being sent to jail and her two... three children turn against her.

That must have been hard, but I didn't feel anything towards it. I didn't feel anything towards my parents anymore. They didn't love me, they abused me in their own ways and they kept my brother hidden from me and Liam. I had nothing to spare for those two. Not even love.

"Nina?" I glanced back up at Anthony there came walking into the room. He was holding the glass of water I had requested when he earlier had asked if I wanted anything. "What are you watching?" He sat down beside me and placed the glass in my hands.

"The news." I moved the glass up to my lips and took a big slurp.

"You shouldn't be watching this." He took the remote and briskly some animal program ran over the screen instead of the tail about my unsuccessful family. Maybe that was for the better.

"Why? There is nothing new they can tell me," I said and took another slurp. My throat was dry and water was all I really needed.

Anthony shifted in his seat. "I don't think this is something you should be reminded of."

"It's not like I can forget it anyway, so it really doesn't matter if I keep being reminded of it. I'll probably be reminded of it as soon as I step out of those doors and face the reality."

He sighed and moved closer to me. "Nina, don't say such things. Your father is behind bars and everything will be okay, that's the only thing there matters right now."

"But the future also matters. It has already been a day. I can't stay in here forever." I leaned forward and placed the glass on the coffee table. As I leaned back, Anthony moved, so I was leaning up against his chest. I gasped as I touched his warm skin and his arm moved around me and pulled me in tighter.